What are your inner "Uke-Demons"?

Dane

Reaction score
Just a place to post things you have a lot of trouble with on your uke, I have problems with switching between E and Em, I really want to get it down smooth. I also can't seem to grasp reggae strum, I should maybe work on it more, but everytime I just konk out for some reason. I'd also like to get my 5 finger roll working properly =/

So what are yours?

Getting a decent amped sound. Piezo pickups just don't give you a lot to work with.

Taking enough time off from UU to practice playing....

I'm with Hippie Guy. Piezos suck. No offense Mr. Piezo... Interesting and useful electric effect you discovered, but not in my uke, thank you very much...

Actually playing my uke. I've been in a slump for quite some time now. :(

the super fast strummy thing with my index finger. You know, where your hand looks like a crazy fan. It's killing me right now. I've been working on crosscurrent for awhile now, and the fast strumming parts just aren't gonna happen right now.

I'm with Hippie Guy. Piezos suck. No offense Mr. Piezo... Interesting and useful electric effect you discovered, but not in my uke, thank you very much...

I don't think they suck, they are just hard to work with. Here's hoping that the pickup people come up with a fantastic new way to naturally amplify my 'ukulele.

Actually playing my uke. I've been in a slump for quite some time now. :(

Yeah, me too, work has ramped up pressure and hour wise and takes a lot out of me, my half hour in the bathroom today inspired by the toilet uke thread was great fun, and I played a couple of the babies last night and that's a record for the last month for me, taking a uke out of the case twice in 24 hours.

Yeah, me too, work has ramped up pressure and hour wise and takes a lot out of me, my half hour in the bathroom today inspired by the toilet uke thread was great fun, and I played a couple of the babies last night and that's a record for the last month for me, taking a uke out of the case twice in 24 hours.

haha cuz of that thread I went and did a recording in there, I forgot how good the acoustics are

Rhythm and timing are two big demons. I also would like much stronger right hand technique - Bo Diddley strum, Formby, etc.

Fan strum with even triplets
10-finger roll at all, in any way shape or form
Keeping my 3rd finger tucked behind the fret on Dm, so it doesn't go slightly sharp
REALLY, REALLY fine tuning
Playing E with B on the first string, instead of E
Good thumb tremolo

That'll do for now. I could go on and on.

For me, it has to be the FM7 form. (2413)

Do you 'guys' really form it properly when you get to it?

I cheat by doing a 3-finger (2410).

Keep uek-in',

Strumming and rhythum in general. Also, I am bad about not wanting to stop singing along to songs enough to actually work on technique. But I suppose that would take some of the fun out of it for me!

Music theory.... i just dont get time to sit and read through everything. Every time i do i seem to pick up my Uke for a bit of practice while rading and it turns into a practice sesh instead !

I'm still not completely used to the re-entrant tuning; I'm used to hitting the last string while fingerpicking for a bass line, and I keep forgetting that the lowest string on the uke isn't the fourth. It's more of a habitual thing with how I use my thumb, but it's still demonic.

The finger roll strums are also up there on my list. I still can't figure it out, even looking at Aldrine's videos and some others (it makes me feel so "slow", geez!). I bet I'd be able to pick it up if I saw it live.

Oh, and I almost forgot, using the pinky on my left hand for anything because it's still pretty weak and spazzy. I keep avoiding using it, but I really do need to quit avoiding it and just get down to practice with it for real.

Oh, and I almost forgot, using the pinky on my left hand for anything because it's still pretty weak and spazzy. I keep avoiding using it, but I really do need to quit avoiding it and just get down to practice with it for real.

try practicing scales. before i really started learning songs, i did scales up and down the fretboard and it really got my pinky strong.

my deamon would be a little buzzing since i changed to the pro artes. if i'm not 100% pushing down on the strings, i get some buzzing now.

I don't think they suck, they are just hard to work with. Here's hoping that the pickup people come up with a fantastic new way to naturally amplify my 'ukulele.

I stand corrected.. 'Suck' is a bit too harsh. I'll try to curb my rash generalizations in the future. Suffice to say I've never met a piezo I liked... :)

I installed (or my husband did) Shadow pick-ups in two of my ukes. Didn't like the sound in electric guitar amps. Then I bought an acoustic guitar amp, made all the difference. An acoustic amp keeps the uke sounding like a uke. Very happy with my Roland AC60.

Top Bottom