PDA

View Full Version : Entry Level Pineapple Ukulele

sayurann
04-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Hi, I am new and I am looking for my first ukulele. I want a pineapple ukulele and I already did my homework, I did some research in this forum... My last three choices are:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KALA-KA-P-Mahogany-PINEAPPLE-SOPRANO-UKULELE-W-AQULIA_W0QQitemZ360232241757QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53df83ca5d
KA-P ukulele (my first choice) It supposed to be better than the Makala one.
Furthermore, I just realize that there are KA-P, KA-PSS, KA-P Kiwi and Watermelon.. Are those the same thing with different skins? is KA-PSS is a silk-screened KA-P ?

http://www.amazon.com/Lanikai-LU-21P-Pinapple-Ukulele/dp/B0018TF0Q6/ref=pd_ts_MI_7?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments
Lanikai Ukulele LU-21P, cheapest

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-PINEAPPLE-SOPRANO-UKULELE-STARTER-PACK-MK-P_W0QQitemZ330424768088QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defau ltDomain_0?hash=item4ceed9d658
MGM makala ; my last choice because it's the most expensive one, however it's from MGM (tuned, polished, etc) and it have accessories that I don't think I need.

EDIT
http://www.kamoaukes.com/laminatepineapple.php
Recommended by Dane below... Is this Mahogany not laminated? Now this one is the most expensive

Which one do you guys recommend, and why? Thanks before =)

Chris Tarman
04-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Of the three, and given that you don't think you need the accessories, I would go with the Kala I think. I have three Kalas, all of which play very well (of course, I got all of them from MGM, so they were well set-up). I like the binding on the Kala, and it has more than just decorative value, since it offers the edges a little bit of protection from dings. I've never bought anything from that dealer, but I believe they are reputable. It comes with Aquilas, which are my string of choice (so does the Makala from MGM, however). That seems like a good price. I'd like to have a case, myself, but you can always get one (or a bag) for it whenever you decide to.

Chris Tarman
04-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Shoot... now I am tempted to get one of those myself! I don't have a pineapple in my arsenal yet! If it had friction tuners I might do it.

sayurann
04-18-2010, 08:27 PM
hahaha, the first one is a reputable seller, his/her reputation is as good as MGM on ebay..
I found that there are a lot of websites that are able to tune ukulele and a lot of sites that offer guides to beginners, that's why I don't need MGM's accesories except probably the gigbag/case..
too bad, they are geared tuners... is friction tuner better than gear one? if it is, probably you can only find friction tuners on better ukulele's..
I will decide which one that I will buy probably tomorrow and thanks for the reply!

Dane
04-18-2010, 08:52 PM
The thing about MGM is that he sets up the ukes for optimal play though, he usually throws in some nice free things like tuners and chordbooks, uke cases. He also strings aquillas and polishes your fretboard I think. If you order from MGM, you will not be dissapointed. That being said, I am also curious about pineapple ukes, and I think the kamoa pineapples sound good, check out the UU store, aldrine plays one in the video next to it. If I were to get one (I wouldn't pay too much, I don't really like sopranos, I'd buy the kamoa I think.

lancemanion
04-18-2010, 09:22 PM
I would go with the Kala. I have the PSS model since I love the silk screen pineapple look. I would highly rec. buying from Music Guy Mike on ebay. I have three Kala's and bought all three from Mike. He upgraded to hard case for free since my wife picked up the PSS in person. Mike is a great guy. Here is the model I purchased:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PSS-KALA-PINEAPPLE-SOPRANO-UKULELE-FREE-GIGBAG-SETUP_W0QQitemZ330423695428QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item4ceec97844

The other reason I went with the PSS model is that it matches my Bugsear Electric Pineapple, which is probably the coolest ukulele that I own:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BugsGear-EleUke-SCP100-MP3-Pineapple-Soprano-Ukulele_W0QQitemZ360246915323QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53e063b0fb

Good luck, hope you enjoy your pineapple which ever you choose.

luvdat
04-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Definitely the Kala pineapple. Over the weekend, I swapped out the saddle from the pineapple with the one that came with the Kala 15-S I own and it plays even better...I can't recommend this ukulele enough!

sayurann
04-19-2010, 12:26 AM
The thing about MGM is that he sets up the ukes for optimal play though, he usually throws in some nice free things like tuners and chordbooks, uke cases. He also strings aquillas and polishes your fretboard I think. If you order from MGM, you will not be dissapointed. That being said, I am also curious about pineapple ukes, and I think the kamoa pineapples sound good, check out the UU store, aldrine plays one in the video next to it. If I were to get one (I wouldn't pay too much, I don't really like sopranos, I'd buy the kamoa I think.

whoa, you add one more choices >_<
the Kamoa one's looks unique since you can't get it anywhere other than Kauai or UU stores.. It cost 99$ + 20$ shipping though, making it the most expensive out of all the choices...
The Kala pineapple KA-P cost 70$, so the Kamoa cost 50% more... does it worth the upgrade?

Furthermore, I just realize that there are KA-P, KA-PSS, KA-P Kiwi and Watermelon.. Are those the same thing with different skins? is KA-PSS is a silk-screened KA-P ?

Thanks!

the52blues
04-19-2010, 01:35 AM
The Kala novelty painted ukes are basically a dressed up KA-P but really attract attention. I have the pineapple and it's hard to see in the pictures but it has a brown tortoise shell binding around the edges that looks really sweet close up. MGM includes a pitch pipe and gig bag in his price and, as everyone above has mentioned, does the best pre set-up before he ships. I live in Canada and unfortunately we are considered a foreign country so that shipping rates, border crossing and exchange rates end up adding nearly $150 to the price. I bought mine from a local company and had to pay an extra $33 for the gig bag and I've taken it back twice to have the set-up done. It plays and sounds great now but the tech that did the job had never worked on ukes before. Believe me it may still be worth it to me to order my next uke from Mike!!!

Chris Tarman
04-19-2010, 06:03 AM
hahaha, the first one is a reputable seller, his/her reputation is as good as MGM on ebay..
I found that there are a lot of websites that are able to tune ukulele and a lot of sites that offer guides to beginners, that's why I don't need MGM's accesories except probably the gigbag/case..
too bad, they are geared tuners... is friction tuner better than gear one? if it is, probably you can only find friction tuners on better ukulele's..
I will decide which one that I will buy probably tomorrow and thanks for the reply!

Friction tuners aren't BETTER, necessarily, and a lot of people don't like them. I happen to really like them, and I prefer the way they look on a soprano over the way geared tuners look.

Lori
04-19-2010, 06:42 AM
Friction tuners aren't BETTER, necessarily, and a lot of people don't like them. I happen to really like them, and I prefer the way they look on a soprano over the way geared tuners look.
:agree: I like the geared tuners too. On the Kala Kiwi, the headstock and gears make it a little top heavy on balance. You might consider ordering one where they can install a strap button for you (maybe MGM will do it if you call or email him). Also, the gig bag that comes with the fruity Kalas is very nice and compact. It is hard to find a good gig bag for under $20, so bear that in mind. It can be even harder to find a good fitting hardshell case, so if you can get a case included in whatever you choose, I think it is a good idea. I save any beginners books to give to friends when they express an interest in learning the uke.

–Lori

sayurann
04-19-2010, 10:31 AM
sorry for my misunderstanding, i am a complete newbie about these things haha...

@chris tarman
the kamoa ukulele has friction tuners btw, probably u will like them!
check out the link on my first post...

Is it necessary to have a gigbag?
I am thinking to buy the first link on my post now, and not going to buy any accessories (ex:case/straps). and if I happens to really like uke, I might get an upgrade later..
And if I am going to upgrade, most of the good uke are not in pineapple shape, that's why I want the pineapple shape for my 1st uke..
I like the Kamoa but it cost a lot than the KA-P T_T

I did email MGM and ask if he had the KA-P in stock since yesterday, but he did not reply me yet.. I think I will just call him.. I think the KA-PSS is not worth the upgrade considering if it is a silk-screened KA-P... around 40-50% extra..
even though ceciliamusic is a very reputable seller on ebay, I would like to purchase my uke from MGM since everyone here recommends him..

Thanks!

Chris Tarman
04-19-2010, 06:16 PM
sorry for my misunderstanding, i am a complete newbie about these things haha...

@chris tarman
the kamoa ukulele has friction tuners btw, probably u will like them!
check out the link on my first post...

Is it necessary to have a gigbag?

Thanks!

I've looked at the Kamoa pineapple too. I think it looks really nice and it sure sounds great (at least with Aldrine playing it!). When I first saw it on the UU store, they were sold out though.
As for a gig-bag, it isn't really necessary if you're just playing in the house, but it is nice if you want to take the thing anywhere without banging it up. Of course, all of these ukuleles are laminated rather than solid wood, so they require less care than some more expensive ukes. You can always pick up a gig bag or case later if you decide you need one. I got my niece a Mainland soprano for her birthday last month, but her first uke was a cheap little Hilo. She took it to school all the time with no case and it did fine. I think she had it in her backpack. Of course, it was also covered with stickers, so the stickers kind of protected it, lol.... Now she has a nice solid mahogany Mainland with a case.
So no... you don't NEED a case or bag right away, but they sure are nice.

sayurann
05-26-2010, 07:23 AM
Ok, I don't know why, but after a few weeks and reading a LOT of reviews and looking at a lot of others ukes, sending PM about uke's in marketplace, I finally bought a Kala concert travel uke from MGM...
haha, after the delay I am able to save some more money to afford a more expensive uke... the travel uke satisfy the requirement of the uke that I want, it is unique!!
It is kinda hard to play uke, but I am going to learn and will ask for help! I am having trouble on holding the frets and strumming pattern right now, going to work on it! :)

Thanks for all the replies!