Kala KA-S

Prairiekid

Reaction score
So I bought a Kala KA-S and have been learning to play over the past week, I have practiced a lot over and thought that I just wasn't very good. When I strum it seems there are some vibrations and distortion, so I bought a mic tuner thinking maybe I didn't have it tuned well enough my ear. I have practiced my finger placement to see if I was causing problems there.

Then when I am at the Music store I pick up a Uke worth about $175 US, can't remember the name. It was so much easier to play and didn't have any vibrations or distortion coming out of it. Both are soprano.

So am I doing something wrong or is it just my instrument.

Any help is much appreciated.

Did you buy the uke from a local dealer or off the net? If it was from the local dealer take it back and ask them for the free set up they should have given you. Ukes straight from the factory are not set up properly. They usually leave the action high so there are no buzzing but that puts the intonation out. If you pay even $50 to $100 for a uke it should play in tune without buzzing. I have 2 Kalas, a Jazz arch top tenor and a pineapple soprano. Both of them needed the intonation adjusted but now they sound great. The dealer has to make sure you are happy with your purchase so tell him you are not satisfied. If you bought it off the net it's a bit more complicated and probably will cost more to rectify your problem since most dealers will repair or replace youe uke but you have to pay the shipping...again. I personally don't buy instruments off the web especially since I live in Canada and the shipping is even more money. If I had to buy of the web I would buy from Musicguymic (MGM) in Hawaii. He personally makes sure every uke that goes out the door has been properly set up. Good luck.

Yeah if it was bought from the web, sometimes there comes in those tragic shipping issues which can cause a great deal of dissapointment, im just hoping the problem your having doesn't happen to me, because i just baught the same Kala KA-S model ukulele off the net for a inexpensive price of $57.00 (without shipping) but looking at reviews from amazon, it didn't seem like there wasn't a single problem but there WERE only 11 reviews, i was hoping for more feedback from buyers but i took the risk, but if you bought yours from a local dealer as the52blues had said, you should be able to get that taken care of in no time.

Hey Guys,

I bought the Uke from MGM, so I will have to write him, what type of person would I take it too to remedy my problem?

If you bought it from Mike talk to him first. He stands behind his product 100%. If you are not satisfied he will do the right thing however I believe you would still have to pay the shipping. Sorry. That's life when ordering off the net. Do you not have any local music stores that could do the ordering and shipping and/or have a luthier/tech employed?

Top Bottom