Thumb Strummers

UkuleleHill

Reaction score
I did a search and I found a thread on it, but it went off topic after the second post, so I was wondering, how many of us use our thumb to strum instead of our index fingers? I came over from guitar and I learned to strum with my thumb on Guitar so it was just natural for me to do the same with Ukulele... So... Anyone else a thumb strummer?

guilty. I usually upstrum with my thumb, and downstrum with my finger, so it's all nails and no flesh

It's according to what I'm doing: if I want it to sound softer, so as not to overpower my voice, then I use my thumb to strum down and the tip of my index finger on the upstrum. If I want more volume during an instrumental break, I'll play with my index finger, the nail hitting on the downstrum.

CountryMouse

I have all my nails grown out, and I strum both with my index, and my thumb at different times, if I want a slower clear single strum it sounds better if I use my thumb, I strum quicker with my index, but sometimes I use my index and my thumb at the same time while I'm strumming, I use my middle finger for chunking, but sometimes I also use it for upstroke strums. I'm also getting pretty decent at what I think aldrine and them called a triplet strum, where you use index and thumb for an up, up, down combo strum. The nails give me options as well, so i can choose single chords or single strums in fact to accentuate with the attack from the nail.

I've used this line before, and I think it should be my own special phrase now, "Never limit yourself" try using thumb if you never do, use index if you never do, it's just another thing to add to your uke arsenal for use when YOU so choose. I'm always trying to gather as many techniques as I can, because I think it will make me a more balanced player.

Did the first year. When I saw Bill Tapia do it, I thought, it must be okay. Then the leader of my band taught me to use a pick, says you have more control. Then about a year ago I found myself using my index finger when I wasn't playing with the band. I morphed without even realizing it.

I strum with my thumb for accent only, or for when I want to play very soft passages. Otherwise, I use my middle finger for strumming, or index+middle finger. I have all my nails grown out too (fingerstyle guitarist) so I just don't see a point in a pick, since I can get the same sound without a tool.

For very soft playing, thumb. For down/up strokes, thumb on downstroke index finger on upstroke. Only use back of nails when I want to play loud or special "fan" strums.

Depends on what I am playing. I use thumb and fingers or a combination of such depending on the type of strum and sound I am going for. I also pick, especially on the banjo and banjoUke, and like mentioned in another thread, sometimes even use a thumb pick when picking...

So... Anyone else a thumb strummer?
I use all of my hand for playing - I strum with the thumb, fingertips, fingernails, sometimes the sides of thumb and fingers, even the side of my hand. Depends on the type of sound and attack I want.

Generally I tend to downstrum with my thumb's edge and upstrum with my fingertips. I cut my nails to the quick so I have more control over my sounds - I can use the tips of my fingers for picking and strumming more flexibly when nails are short. I only use the nails for strumming.

I'm with country mouse and Davevisi. Thumb down and index finger up. But some times all thumb, flesh down and nail up.

Guilty here too. I also came from 10+ years on guitar so it was natural for me. However I do use the index for faster songs.

I may have strated the other post you referred to....

I'm primarily a thumb-strummer, too, and probably for the same reason. I learned it while playing guitar, and now I seem to be stuck with it....

Guilty here too. I also came from 10+ years on guitar so it was natural for me. However I do use the index for faster songs.

Yeah I was able to strum with my pointer for one week then I got sick for a week and I didn't play, I lost the ability... I like it though, its just the way I know...

I almost always strum with just my thumb.

You just got even more cooler in my book Mike! :)

I may have strated the other post you referred to....

I'm primarily a thumb-strummer, too, and probably for the same reason. I learned it while playing guitar, and now I seem to be stuck with it....

You did indeed start the other one... I just couldn't bring myself to resurrect it knowing that it would likely go back in the old direction instead..

I'm all thumbs. :)

I am a thumb strummer, definitely. I also came to the ukulele from guitar and so thumb strumming is what happened naturally for me, I guess. I've tried the index finger for strumming and I am quite simply unable to keep proper rythyms and strum patterns. It feels wrong to me somehow.

The index finger comes into play along with the thumb for basic fingerpicking and plucking melodies, but I have embraced my "thumb-y-ness" as far as strumming goes.

Mostly thumb. However, I have been working on using my other fingers, as I like the variety of sound that it adds.

I'm definitely a thumb-strummer. I'm trying to use other fingers, but I'm really stuck on using my thumb. I also use a pick occasionally, which I really like.

Top Bottom