New Uke!

R

RyanMFT

Hey Everyone, just wanted to share that I am pretty excited about a uke I just picked up today.....a Kamaka Soprano! It was purchased from the Kamaka factory, brought back to the mainland, and then promptly stashed away for the next 11 years in its case! I am pretty blown away by the sound....I took off the original strings and restrung it. Dressed and polished the frets and tuners while I was at it, and then played for a couple hours. It sounds so sweet....I feel so lucky!

Tell me what you think......!!!
Kamaka1.jpg

Nice job Ryan. I bet she was just dying to be played after 11 years in exile.

Beautiful. Although I also wonder if you got it for a steal...if it was in hiding for 11 years it's possible they didn't know what they had.

What do I think? I think I hate you....

(just kidding!) Great find! Enjoy it!

It's a beauty, but I am indeed curious about the history. More story, please.

What a find! Now...go wear the finish off it!

I can't see the pics but I am amazed at the people that buy "K" ukuleles as souviners. I mean how much money are you making to buy $500 plus instruments as souviners?

He never actually said it was bought as a souvenir. I'm guessing that if they bought it at the factory, then at least SOMEONE knew what they had. Maybe the SPOUSE of the purchaser didn't know what they had...

Thanks EVERYONE for your kind words! This is why I love UU....people genuinely happy for others in this thing that we share.....

Here's the story.....
The guy I bought it from had a beautiful house, inside and out, just as spotless as the uke. I don't think money was an issue for this guy. He had a couple banjos and a guitar but told me he really doesn't play but just likes to dabble. He told me that when he was in Hawaii on vacation he decided to take a walk to the Kamaka factory from his hotel and that it ended up being a VERY long walk. He said after he bought it he only played it once or twice because his hands are too big for a soprano. So, it sat in the case for the next 11 years.

He knew he had a quality uke but just chose a VERY fair price. I paid about half of what I see these go for on eBay, so I think it was a great deal. Here's how big a dork I am....on the drive home, it was sitting on the floor in its case, and after a few minutes I just couldn't stand it. I put it on the passenger seat and opened the case just so I could look at it and reach over and touch it! The sound is rich and full and although in the picture the finish look kind of glossy, it is really a nice matte finish.

Here is one more picture if I can be so bold, next to a Kumalae. Koa....what a beautiful wood! Come on over and play it :)
Kamaka3.jpg

He never actually said it was bought as a souvenir. I'm guessing that if they bought it at the factory, then at least SOMEONE knew what they had. Maybe the SPOUSE of the purchaser didn't know what they had...

LOL!! I know but let's think about it, If I buy an instrument and never play it, I am either an collector or souviner gatherer:) Of course, this statement was just a generalization. I mean how else can you justify locking a kamaka up for 11 years?

Locked....upp!?!?! *sputter* Why that's cruelty to ukuleles! I'm outraged...I'm livid...I'm ...sooooo greeen with envy! Congrats...ermmm, I don't suppose he has a sister of this gurl hidden away? *blink-blink-innocent look*
:drool:

LOL!! I know but let's think about it, If I buy an instrument and never play it, I am either an collector or souviner gatherer:) Of course, this statement was just a generalization. I mean how else can you justify locking a kamaka up for 11 years?

Well, he could have died and his wife could have been selling it. I know MINE would... but she would definitely NOT wait 11 years to unload my various collections!

You know what's funny, after my wife and I saw the movie "Mighty Uke" she wanted to play, and has learned some basic chords. When I saw this Kamaka I was feeling guilty about wanting to buy it and she said I should go buy it for her because she likes it.....knowing that she already can play any and all the ukes I already have........she was just trying to let me off the hook from feeling guilty.

If I die early, I hope she gives all my ukes to people who will love them as much as I did! Maybe send them to people on UU forums, I would like that!

WOW!!! What a find and what a beauty!!!! Congrats!!!

LOL!! My wife actually kinda plays if you call once every three months as playing.

I tried to show my wife a few things on uke, thinking it would be nice to have someone else to play with (I am the only ukelele player I know here). She got frustrated after about 2 minutes and has expressed no interest since. The poor thing likes to listen to music, and she doesn't mind me playing uke at all (sometimes gets fed up with me BUYING them though), but she has NO music ability whatsoever. She will try to sing along with really simple tunes that everyone knows and it isn't even CLOSE. She realizes this, and is ok with it. I'll work on teaching her a few chords again sometime though. I would like to have chordal accompaniment so I can try to play melody lines, or chord inversions. I seriously need to find some people to play with!

Top Bottom