Side thickness and clean up.

fahrner

Reaction score
I've cut seven sets of quarter sawn mahogany for tenor sides on my band saw.
My target at was .080" thinking that I'd end up around .070" after removing the saw marks.
What I did not count on is that in some cases I had to remove .010" on each side.
Based on a comment from Pete awhile back, I think I'm OK at .060" but I have a couple that are down to .050".
So, the question is, should I use those or is it just too risky.

Blade used was a new CarterClassic Accuright 3 TPI, 3/4".
I may have tried to clean up the inside more than needed.
It didn't look any worse than my re-saw efforts for other projects the past.
Next time my re-saw target will be .090" - .095" to error on the heavy side. It's easy to take down with a scraper or spindle sander and fence.
Any input appreciated.

Those .050 ones are now soundboards. ;) That's what I'm doing with mine, and I do this all the time (saw too thin and then realize it once I'm thickness sanding)--ok, maybe not all the time, but more than once, for sure. I think I'm trying to be too frugal, and sometimes it ends up costing me more. My current padauk build doesn't have book matched sides because I finished up the wrong side on one of them, and there wasn't enough wood left to finish up the other side. Not that it's all chopped up. It looks pretty good nonetheless, with the grain sweeping across the join at the bottom instead of stopping abruptly and reversing itself (like traditional book match).

Last edited:
That's a little thin, but you're probably okay. Here's a little trick you can use to stiffen up and stabilize the sides. After bending and installing your lining, glue some cross grained ribs around the sides. You just need to be more careful when finish sanding the completed bodies, but I wouldn't scrap them.

Top Bottom