Neck and Headstock thickness

Janko

Reaction score
My tenor neck is ready to be thicknessed. Yes ...that is now a word!
My plans don't include a slotted headstock which I am doing, if the ukulele wants one or not!

The neck is 3/4 inches thick from head to heel. I read some where that a slotted headstock should be 3/4 of an inch thick. My plans call for a 7/16 inch thick head and tapering to 5/8ths at the heel.

If my head is 3/4 inch then I can't put a taper on the neck thickness at all. I want to use a veneer on the head face which right now is 1/8th.

How would it look if the head was 3/4 inch and the neck taper started at the nut and then got thicker toward the heel? :confused:

I guess my question would be first, how thick should the head stock be with the veneer face or with out it and is 1/8th over kill for a veneer face? The neck is maple and the veneer is walnut.
Good grief.....can anyone understand this post?

Janko,
You'll be fine with a thicker headstock than your neck. Make sure you have your tuners in your hand before you thickness the head stock. As far as the veneer, what ever looks good to you. BTW, pics or it didn't happen.

Steve

Ok. I'll post some pics in the next two days. Rules of engagement. "No pointing and laughing while I'm watching :( but Honest and constructive feed back welcomed." This uke won't be a thing of beauty but it is one heck of a learning exercise. Nothing hits home better than hands on and it sticks like glue too.

I'll order some tuners then as soon as I can learn enough about them to know which ones to order :/ along with a rosette and some fret wire. I,m attempting to make a circle chanel cutter doo hinky for my dremel. So far it's on paper and it works like a dream.

circle chanel cutter doo hinky for my dremel. So far it's on paper and it works like a dream.
You should treasure moments like that. No noise, no dust, no bleeding fingers... I should start delivering my ukes via fax. Paper rocks.

Sven

Oh, if it works for real as well, I'd like to see pics!

Sven, how about a drawing and a little sampled mp3 of what it would sound like :)

Your custom uke, made to order, free e-mail delivery, click here...

Thanks for the link TDP
The Pics.....

My first Ukulele build. I had a bit of trouble with neck alignment but as you can see, the Uke turned out not to bad.
1000028img.jpg

My second build went much better. I learned a pile from my first build. I used my home made propane hot pipe to bend the sides. I was afraid after my first disaster but I wasn't going to let the pipe beat me. The sides are a bit thick at 3/32".
1000002imgqt.jpg

My neck slots turned out good this time. I saw a video on how to do the heel slots on a table saw and how to square everything up. I got rid of the Hanna Lima idea of slot jig and used only my cheap table saw. The video actually paid off. Now I can keep my cheap junky saw. Yahoo!
1000026imgt.jpg

My WRC top is 3/32" thick and is now ready for a rosette disaster. My bottom which can be partially seen in the pic of the sides I think is 1/16" thick.
1000033imgf.jpg

Can't wait to set a high speed dremel and home made circle cutting jig on top of my sound board. Talk about high anxiety!

Last edited:
Hey Janko

I think 1/8th thick veneer is too thick.....just an opinion though. It looks too heavy in the edges of the slots and too big on the ramped sections. All just a matter of taste though.
You want the total thickness of the headstock about 0.75" for the Grover tuners. And you gotta post some pics of your head stock when you get it cut!!
Good luck with the dremmel!!

Those tuners look great. I was aiming for a fleminco sound for my Uke. That's why I used cedar for a top and walnut for the bottom. Those tuners would give it a spanish type of look don't you think?
I have seen really nice ones worth 250 bucks, but only for guitars , not for ukulele's. Are you selling the ones listed in the link at ebay?

And thanks ksquine for your input. I was thinking along the same lines but wasn't sure. I will thin it some more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom