When can I join the 'Ukulele Whore-ders group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryMouse

Reaction score
Technically I don't have my tenth ukulele yet. But I should be getting it this week--it's already paid for! Can I join now? Huh? Huh?

UAS is a wonderful and terrible thing!

CountryMouse

I think you can join the club. I'm working on getting some money for a second uke (I'd like to try out some tenor flukes and tenor fleas, might try to buy one if I like em) It would be 3 technically, but I don't count my starter uke as one, cuz it's not quite a uke, it's a poopy uke, and I hate it haha. =X

I can't believe that you have 10 ukes already. Then again I can't believe that I've been so restrained myself. ;)

Ten ukes to be a member? I'll pass. I'm not selling off any of my ukes for anybody.:)

Jude

Wow! That's a lot of ukes! I have 3 (though one is a cheap Mahalo that I never play) and I thought that was a lot! :D
But when UAS strikes, there's not a lot you can do. :)

I can't believe that you have 10 ukes already. Then again I can't believe that I've been so restrained myself. ;)

I can't quite believe it myself either...but most are inexpensive ones. And then of course money came from unexpected sources. :)

CountryMouse

Congrats CountryMouse! I'm still stuck at 8, but really want to join the whore- ders.

I have a lot too... about 20... but they are Eleukes and Ohanas and if someone decides to come in and buy them all up I will not have but 2 ;)!

Soon to be 3 when the Ohana Sopraninos are in stock. Me wants one BAD!

I'm surprised no one has reported the name of this group yet, lol.

Being a surly old curmudgeon I'm not too comfortable with that name myself. But I am a hoarder so I suppose the name is appropriate. Better than being called a Ukulele Slut I suppose.

Jude

When can I join the 'Ukulele Whore-ders group?
Do you really want to? While I too suffer from the ailment of UAS, and often have a dozen instruments on hand, I would not personally join a group with a name like that. Sexist, demeaning, gutter talk, and highly inappropriate.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, maybe I'm too obsessive about the use of the English language, maybe I just have too much self-respect, but it irritates me.

A whore, according to several dictionary sites, is:
1. A prostitute.
2. A person considered sexually promiscuous.
3. A person considered as having compromised principles for personal gain.
intr.v. whored, whor·ing, whores
1. To associate or have sexual relations with prostitutes or a prostitute.
2. To accept payment in exchange for sexual relations.
3. To compromise one's principles for personal gain.

The last one in particular gets to me. To be a whore or to whore is to "compromise one's principles for personal gain." Not my upbringing, not my style. To me, principles are sacred things one lives by, things one is known for, the measure of your worth. 'Whore' is not something I want associated with my personal profile that others might see.

Do you really want to be associated with being a whore? Even if it was meant in jest and not as sexual innuendo? I certainly don't. These things have a nasty way of coming back to haunt you if co-workers, political associates or spouse's parents find them online.

Using such nomenclature also should require a COPPA or similar age-restriction for the forum. Children should not be on sites where such words are commonly used (or abused). Parents might think it's some sleazy rapper site. Or equally bad, a p*** site. UU is neither, but careless use of words could get it tagged as such by search engines like Google. We don't want it to disappear from the 'safe search', do we?​

I think by ten you opted out of the Ukulele Whore-ders group and ventured into the Ukulele Pimp Daddy's

I think by ten you opted out of the Ukulele Whore-ders group and ventured into the Ukulele Pimp Daddy's
Daddy's what? You are missing a word or two. Daddy's is possessive and requires an object of possession to follow. As in Daddy's little girl, or Daddy's ukulele. Surely you don't mean "Daddies" the plural version of the word? If so, who would want to be associated with an incorrectly named group? That would suggest the members aren't terribly literate or smart.

By ten? I'm usually in bed by ten. Perhaps you mean by nine?

A pimp is a parasite who solicits for a prostitute or brothel and lives off the earnings. Why would any reasonably sane, responsible adult not involved in heinous criminal activity associated with abuse to women, drugs and prostitution want to be associated with the word "pimp" on any public profile?

Think it's glamourous or cool to be called a "pimp"? Think again. It's demeaning, lowlife stuff. Children who don't yet understand such associations or the violence inherent in the activity might think there's some cuteness to it - impressionable minds watching too much TV mightbe so swayed. But adults would understand that joining such a group would be like associating with a group named for pedophiles, crack addicts or rapists.

Do you think the women on this forum will be impressed and want to join a group named for sexual abuse to their gender? Pimps and whores - I see a group of pre-teen boys as members, chuckling because they think they're so grown up. They're just being offensive, like little kids who've just learned to swear so they do it to get reaction.

Perhaps UU should not allow children to create - or at least name - groups.

Seriously? Taking things a little too literally here... This was a fun thread. Guess I opened my mouth too soon. Closing until further notice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom