Ohana's new "2M" - A New Classic Soprano?

SweetWaterBlue

Reaction score
I recently had the opportunity to examine, and play, the prototype Ohana 2M. It is simply delightful. Light as a feather - strong, confident sound - classic appearance. If the production models are to the same standard, they will be superb ukes. Not cheap, though. I imagine it will be an elite instrument.

JC.

I've got an SK35G, and it is one of my favourite ukes. The "2M" prototype is lighter, and louder, and captures the classic appearance extremely well. I fear the price might preclude me from buying one, but I'm lusting after it already!

John Colter.

I've got an SK35G, and it is one of my favourite ukes. The "2M" prototype is lighter, and louder, and captures the classic appearance extremely well. I fear the price might preclude me from buying one, but I'm lusting after it already!

John Colter.

They can't make it too high, or Ken Timms and Howlett will get all their business.

They can't make it too high, or Ken Timms and Howlett will get all their business.

The price won't be too high. It will be a little more than one of our regular solid mahogany sopranos, but not that much more.

Last edited:
Looks interesting, I also have an SK35G which I think is the best uke I've ever owned - and I've owned a few.

Still have my heart set on a spalted mango (Ken, are Ohana planning to use this wood on any of their lines?) but I'm not too happy with the makers that are using it (Lanikai, in particular).

"The price won't be too high. It will be a little more than one of our regular solid mahogany sopranos, but not that much more. "

That does it! I'm gonna start saving!

I've said I will not be buying any more ukes - I don't NEED any more ukes - just this last one..............

John Colter.

Looks interesting, I also have an SK35G which I think is the best uke I've ever owned - and I've owned a few.

Still have my heart set on a spalted mango (Ken, are Ohana planning to use this wood on any of their lines?) but I'm not too happy with the makers that are using it (Lanikai, in particular).

We have no plans to use it. It is mostly used as a laminate anyway. It is really only there for looks. I think a solid spalted body would have quite unpredicatable tonal results. In any case it is not really a tone wood.

We are actually looking more and more at traditional tonewoods e.g. our new SK-50 and SK-70 (cedar or spruce tops and solid rosewood back and sides).

"and read it as I'm gonna start starving"

It might come to that, Sambient!

John Colter.

We have no plans to use it. It is mostly used as a laminate anyway. It is really only there for looks. I think a solid spalted body would have quite unpredicatable tonal results. In any case it is not really a tone wood.

We are actually looking more and more at traditional tonewoods e.g. our new SK-50 and SK-70 (cedar or spruce tops and solid rosewood back and sides).

Love both sk models and find the spruce and rosewood combo a refreshing option as seems most often paired with cedar which sounds great too. Just nice all the choices Ohana is offering. The spruce/zebra wood soprano is also very inovative and affordable.
Heres to you and Mr Wu:cheers:

The price won't be too high. It will be a little more than one of our regular solid mahogany sopranos, but not that much more.

I'm waiting in line!

Any news on this? ;)

That sounds like a uke that I'd love to review. There are lots of readers into Martin vintage ukes and they don't want to pay for Martin's new reproductions. An Ohana uke like a Martin #2 would be a hot item.

Top Bottom