PDA

View Full Version : Ohana's new "2M" - A New Classic Soprano?

SweetWaterBlue
04-20-2010, 02:26 AM
I just noticed these on Ken Middleton's channel posted in the last few days. Apparently its Ohana's interpretation of the Martin 2M. Ken says its slightly smaller than the Ohana SK-35. Worth watching for, if you are a classic soprano fan. I am sure Ken will make a proper announcement when (and if) they are ready for sale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP49Rhy44CQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kWCqAjswzI&playnext_from=TL&videos=8gR_yvKWBFU

Very nice.

ukantor
04-20-2010, 03:12 AM
I recently had the opportunity to examine, and play, the prototype Ohana 2M. It is simply delightful. Light as a feather - strong, confident sound - classic appearance. If the production models are to the same standard, they will be superb ukes. Not cheap, though. I imagine it will be an elite instrument.

JC.

SweetWaterBlue
04-20-2010, 03:22 AM
I had to look at this summary posted on UkeHunt again to see what a 2M was. It seems very similar to the SK-35s, except for the nice scalloped fingerboard, and lack of head plate veneer. I will be interested to see what the details reveal.

http://ukulelehunt.com/2008/02/22/quick-guide-to-martin-ukulele-styles/

ukantor
04-20-2010, 03:36 AM
I've got an SK35G, and it is one of my favourite ukes. The "2M" prototype is lighter, and louder, and captures the classic appearance extremely well. I fear the price might preclude me from buying one, but I'm lusting after it already!

John Colter.

SweetWaterBlue
04-20-2010, 03:48 AM
I've got an SK35G, and it is one of my favourite ukes. The "2M" prototype is lighter, and louder, and captures the classic appearance extremely well. I fear the price might preclude me from buying one, but I'm lusting after it already!

John Colter.

They can't make it too high, or Ken Timms and Howlett will get all their business.

Ken Middleton
04-20-2010, 06:41 AM
They can't make it too high, or Ken Timms and Howlett will get all their business.

The price won't be too high. It will be a little more than one of our regular solid mahogany sopranos, but not that much more.

byjimini
04-20-2010, 06:59 AM
Looks interesting, I also have an SK35G which I think is the best uke I've ever owned - and I've owned a few.

Still have my heart set on a spalted mango (Ken, are Ohana planning to use this wood on any of their lines?) but I'm not too happy with the makers that are using it (Lanikai, in particular).

ukantor
04-20-2010, 07:04 AM
"The price won't be too high. It will be a little more than one of our regular solid mahogany sopranos, but not that much more. "

That does it! I'm gonna start saving!

I've said I will not be buying any more ukes - I don't NEED any more ukes - just this last one..............

John Colter.

Ken Middleton
04-20-2010, 07:07 AM
Looks interesting, I also have an SK35G which I think is the best uke I've ever owned - and I've owned a few.

Still have my heart set on a spalted mango (Ken, are Ohana planning to use this wood on any of their lines?) but I'm not too happy with the makers that are using it (Lanikai, in particular).

We have no plans to use it. It is mostly used as a laminate anyway. It is really only there for looks. I think a solid spalted body would have quite unpredicatable tonal results. In any case it is not really a tone wood.

We are actually looking more and more at traditional tonewoods e.g. our new SK-50 and SK-70 (cedar or spruce tops and solid rosewood back and sides).

Sambient
04-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Funny, I read this too quickly:

That does it! I'm gonna start saving!

and read it as I'm gonna start starving.

And I identified.

ukantor
04-20-2010, 12:32 PM
"and read it as I'm gonna start starving"

It might come to that, Sambient!

John Colter.

Sambient
04-20-2010, 01:17 PM
There ya go!

mangorockfish
04-20-2010, 03:51 PM
So, Ken, how much are we talking about here? Ballpark figure.

Uke Republic
04-21-2010, 05:57 PM
We have no plans to use it. It is mostly used as a laminate anyway. It is really only there for looks. I think a solid spalted body would have quite unpredicatable tonal results. In any case it is not really a tone wood.

We are actually looking more and more at traditional tonewoods e.g. our new SK-50 and SK-70 (cedar or spruce tops and solid rosewood back and sides).

Love both sk models and find the spruce and rosewood combo a refreshing option as seems most often paired with cedar which sounds great too. Just nice all the choices Ohana is offering. The spruce/zebra wood soprano is also very inovative and affordable.
Heres to you and Mr Wu:cheers:

Ken Middleton
04-21-2010, 07:49 PM
So, Ken, how much are we talking about here? Ballpark figure.

We will set the price soon. The price will be higher than our regular solid mahogany sopranos (sk-35 for instance), but not too much higher.

ukantor
04-21-2010, 08:36 PM
My piggybank is getting a little heavier every day!

JC.

pdxuke
04-22-2010, 05:57 PM
The price won't be too high. It will be a little more than one of our regular solid mahogany sopranos, but not that much more.

I'm waiting in line!

beergeek
10-16-2010, 01:49 AM
Any news on this? ;)

Ken Middleton
10-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Maybe after Christmas.

Pippin
10-16-2010, 12:58 PM
That sounds like a uke that I'd love to review. There are lots of readers into Martin vintage ukes and they don't want to pay for Martin's new reproductions. An Ohana uke like a Martin #2 would be a hot item.

Uke Republic
10-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Any news on this? ;)

I spoke with Lewis @ Ohana last week and they think it should be in mid November . So it should be here at Uke Republic the following week:) We welcome pre-orders but no firm price yet. As Ken mentioned it will be surprisingly very affordable. This one will be an instant classic .

Pondoro
10-17-2010, 08:42 AM
I have an Ohana SK-35 and love it. What is the difference between that and the new 2M?

UKISOCIETY
02-17-2011, 06:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF60xPb-ocU

Uke Republic's got it for $219 (http://ukerepublic.bigcartel.com/product/ohana-vintage-style-mahogany-soprano). I got mine as a "scratch and dent" for $150. Although I don't see any scratches.

Howlin Hobbit
02-17-2011, 07:06 AM
looks and sounds quite sweet. I'd love to see a pic of one next to something like my Ohana SK-50MG (the cedar top - which has fast become a favorite of mine) or one of the 35's just to see what the "slightly smaller" looks like.

SweetWaterBlue
02-17-2011, 09:52 AM
looks and sounds quite sweet. I'd love to see a pic of one next to something like my Ohana SK-50MG (the cedar top - which has fast become a favorite of mine) or one of the 35's just to see what the "slightly smaller" looks like.

The prototype may have been smaller, but I just did a fairly long comparison video to compare my SK-35G with the new SK-38 using the same mic and recording set up, songs etc. My SK-35 has opened up some so it may be a smidgen more robust in sound, but size wise my eyes can't see any difference. Take a look and listen. I have posted the video in the original thread linked below, since that is where I posted my original sound sample of Ken's videos. That audio comparison I did a few days ago does not give as true a picture, since Ken was playing very different songs, and did them at separate times.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?41624-Ohana-SK38&p=610198&highlight=ohana+sk-38#post610198