Pick My Uke

Which One?

• Total voters

AC Baltimore

Reaction score
I am getting a low end uke in the next couple of weeks. I want to get one setup low G. I am torn between a Lanikai LU-21T and a Makai MT-70. So you choose.

The Makai has a solid spruce top - I think the Lanikai is all laminate.

Very likely to get a better overall sound from the the Makai - But I've never played one. No idea about the fit, finish, or intonation.

The Makai has a solid spruce top - I think the Lanikai is all laminate.

Very likely to get a better overall sound from the the Makai - But I've never played one. No idea about the fit, finish, or intonation.

Hmmm, very good point GC. MGM said somewhere that the MT is made in the same factory as Ohana and that they are the same instrument. Something to that effect.

I would say the makai, I have played neither, but just by looking at the descriptions I would go with the solid spruce top, I don't like laminates in general. And a solid spruce top should give some good volume.

And since you said it's the same factory, I would pick them for sure, I love ohana, I know they're made in china but I think they do a pretty good job.

Definetly the Makai! I've been looking at the same uke myself and MGM has them upgraded with Aquila's and his great set up for $129 with free shipping, hard to beat that deal.

to the op, i would go with the mt if those are your choices.

I know this is not a choice. I would pick the Makai I think.

DOes anyone know if this one is decent?
http://www.ukuleleworld.com/oscar-schmidt-ou-6-koa-tenor-ukulele.html

i like the ou6; with the stock aquila strings, it has a very warm sound. i have an ou4 and love it. the next uke i buy will probably be the ou6-lce. you just need to make sure it's setup right. the ou6 i'm looking at needs some new strings and little adjustments, but the store has a luthier that will do that for free.

I guess I'm the only one .... I vote Lanikai.
Personally, I prefer a laminate mahogany over any spruce.
A laminate mahogany can sound nice, while I dislike the sound of all spruce ukes I've heard.
...if you've never heard/played a spruce in person, make sure you do to see if you like the sound first.

Take the Makai and get it from MGM. You will love it!!

I own an OU-6! It was actually my first ukulele. I got it as a factory second (slight blemish on the finish), but for what I paid for, it sounded great. It's pretty mellow, as far as laminates go. You won't be blown over, but you won't be disappointed with it (at least, you shouldn't), either. I'd just stay away from the smaller Oscar Schmidts (my soprano is kind of "meh-just-gets-the-job-done-could-be-a-lot-better"). The tenor isn't too bad at all.

Looks like it's Makai!

I own an OU-6! It was actually my first ukulele. I got it as a factory second (slight blemish on the finish), but for what I paid for, it sounded great. It's pretty mellow, as far as laminates go. You won't be blown over, but you won't be disappointed with it (at least, you shouldn't), either. I'd just stay away from the smaller Oscar Schmidts (my soprano is kind of "meh-just-gets-the-job-done-could-be-a-lot-better"). The tenor isn't too bad at all.

That pretty much sums up my feelings on my OU5... I don't love or hate it. It's just kinda there looking pretty. I do like the wider neck which puts a tad more space between the strings, making fingerpicking a little more easy. The sound is decent but a bit "choked" next to my kala tenor. I am not sure how much of that is related to concert vs tenor or satin vs high gloss... maybe a bit of both.

Top Bottom