Song Help Request Does anyone have this problem?

grappler

Reaction score
Well, Ive been learning a few songs..
Been playing for about just under a year.

My problem is, I'm about 80% through a song but i end up learning a new one before i finish my old one. THEN with me new song, I've just about finished learning that one but then JUMP on to another song! Im sure thats not normal.. Any you folks have this problem?:confused:

absolutely. its just that my problem was always only learning intros on the guitar haha. my friends used to make fun of me because there was only one song that they could remember that i could play from start to finish on my own. and the only reason i was so determined to finish the song was because i was learning it to impress a girl.

and i didnt even get her.

absolutely. its just that my problem was always only learning intros on the guitar haha. my friends used to make fun of me because there was only one song that they could remember that i could play from start to finish on my own. and the only reason i was so determined to finish the song was because i was learning it to impress a girl.

and i didnt even get her.

SWEET! i thought it was only my problem... :(
So Nuke, what do you think i should do to over come this?
Obviously concentrate on finishing a song, but anything else? Maybe More motivation?

But nonetheless, I'll keep practicing.

happens to me all the time. i do about 3 songs that i dont have down 100%, so i practice all 3 of them till i do. that ways i always dont get bored with just one song.

i tend to complete a song when i gain a 4th lol

this has been my problem since I first picked up a guitar over 15 years ago. I got better when in bands, but solo I never have been able to pick a full song from start to finish unless under the guise of a multi-tracker. I can focus on stuff at work and other things, but with music - there's so much great things, I can never seem to sit on a single thing for too long until it's time to explore something else. I haven't counted, but I probably have 300 hours of riffs, chord progressions, or otherwise some kind of song ideas that I've never finished. In comparison, I probably have less than 50 hours of full recorded music.

Being in a band or jamming regularly with friends helps, but otherwise there's always the next cool thing to try and not finish...

Thanks for reminding me I'm not the only one with asbergers wrt music... :)

when i finally got together with some friends and we started performing was when i finally got out of my hole. with the motivation of actually wanting to put on a decent show, i not only finished songs, but i learned different parts... lead vocals, harmonies, keys, rhythm and lead guitar, bass, uke. i suck at vocals, but at least i knew what to look for. there are some songs that had parts that were just too complicated. but i improvised. once i learned every part, i could then just concentrate on playing the uke.

i have diagnosed myself with ADD... Attention Deficit Dang did you see that?

so its really hard for me, without the proper motivation, to actually stick to just one song and learn it all the way through.

if you dont have any other instruments, try learning what you can tollerate. then try to play another part of the song with the uke. start with the chords. and then, i know it sounds weird, but try to figure out the bass lines. then if you cant go back to the chords, see if there is a lead guitar/uke riff. learn what you can on that. try to go back to the chords. if you still cant, see if you can clean up your bass lines. then try the chords again. if not find other solo riffs. then go back to the chords. finish those, then finish the other parts. then clean everything up. doing this will not only satisfy your attention span, but it will keep you on the same song at least till you finish up with the chords. get everything mastered, and THEN try to incorporate the bass, chord strumming, and solo riffs into the song. or even learn and try to incorporate the melody into it, if youre not a singer. just keep in mind there are so many ways to play a song and make it your own. do what sounds good to your ear.

for the record, just because i sell it, doesnt mean i use it. hahaha. all that stuff i just wrote down, i have NEVER been able to accomplish completely. but it is a good template to keep motivated, which i try to adhere to. but when i start cussing like a sailor... im done. thats when i just take what ive got, make it sound as good as i can, and stick with it.

I do it all the time. Perfect example would be the intro to Stairway to Heaven. that's about all I bothered to learn. :p

happens to me all the time. i do about 3 songs that i dont have down 100%, so i practice all 3 of them till i do. that ways i always dont get bored with just one song.

i tend to complete a song when i gain a 4th lol

Sounds a lot like me haha. I doon't see anything wrong with it. I feel like an idiot though because it takes me forever to learn a complete song >.>

Grappler, You just described exactly how I used to be. Like, I can only play the beginning of "tears in heaven" I have never gotten around to learning the rest of it after probably 6 years. lol thats really bad... I've learned probably 30-50% of TONS of songs on the guitar... I'm pretty useless hahah.

I'm a little more disciplined on my uke though. I have actually a large binder full of tabs that I still have to work on. Lots of jake tunes... I have only completely learned 3 of his easier songs(weeps, touch, dragon), but I can play like 80% of a bunch of his other tunes. Life's gotten so busy recently that I haven't been able to practice anything, but I want to learn bandito tyler. :D

I've found that I get focused when I get organized and write down what I want to learn and give myself deadlines though.. I have a "to learn" 3x5 card with a bunch of songs listed on it. Then when I learn a new song I cross it off the list. It's a good way to follow your progress and keep focused.

Last edited:

My problem is, I'm about 80% through a song but i end up learning a new one before i finish my old one. THEN with me new song, I've just about finished learning that one but then JUMP on to another song! Im sure thats not normal.. Any you folks have this problem?:confused:
yah I have that problem. I hear something I like then I hear something else I like more and it is like WOW! so the best thing is to always just stick with it! lol thats what I learned and If I go to a different song then i would be sure to make a note to go back to the song.

lol

lol i do tht all the time, but i usually learn the rest of the song a couple months down the line

It's no fun at all to play one song over and over again until it's perfect. once you memorize it (but still not play it perectly) then you can move on but obviously still play the other one. Eventually, you get perfect at the original song and repeat the process

ya that happens to me all the time lol.

Im currently learning about 5 songs at once!

your not alone man.

Im trying to concentrate on, "Here comes the sun" by George Harrison, becuase, well, he is THE man, and I am in love with that song.

But o well, it will be cool eventually.

I used to have this problem but then i started to concentrate on one song then i will now learn a song and play it for a week or so then move on...

Howlie Boy

Heh, i just started playing a couple days ago and instead of trying to learn a full song and be able to play it for people... i've learned bits and pieces of multiple songs. Sometimes people ask me to finish the song and i say i can't XP, but ill play part of this song for you XD

Heh, i just started playing a couple days ago and instead of trying to learn a full song and be able to play it for people... i've learned bits and pieces of multiple songs. Sometimes people ask me to finish the song and i say i can't XP, but ill play part of this song for you XD

hahah nicko your just got your ukulele last week...and you got all these tabs your hilarious...OHHHHHHHH NICKO WANNA SEE IF WE CAN GO TO THAT UKE STORE TODAY YOUR FRIEND TOLD US ABOUT...mannnn my mom prolly can take us =)

Top Bottom