Ooks of Hazzard

that was a cool vid. pretty much everyone played and sang well.

How many of those ukes can we identify? There's a Kala U-Bass, what looks like a Kala arch-top jazz uke, a Kala mahogany cutaway, a Fluke, I think the lady plays a Lanakai....

Great vid, BTW.... Do they have others? I'm wanting more....

I've searched a bit for them, but came up empty. These guys are well practiced and very good, so they must be pros. But it's odd they don't have an internet trail.

The video description says it was recorded live, but there are no shots of an audience nor is there ever any applause, laughter, or any signs of a live audience. The performance is not fake, it just may not have been done in front of a crowd.

I spotted a Kala cutaway tenor — the solo guy has it. So do I. Odd, mine doesn't sound like that...

They could have been recording through their own system. With no mic set for ambient sounds. And I wouldn't say pro, I think they're great and it sounded awesome, but I dunno.... I've never really liked the word pro anyways, lets just say they are talented =)

How many of those ukes can we identify? There's a Kala U-Bass, what looks like a Kala arch-top jazz uke, a Kala mahogany cutaway, a Fluke, I think the lady plays a Lanakai....

Great vid, BTW.... Do they have others? I'm wanting more....

I think the guy on the left sitting by the woman with the pinapple is playing an Ohana TK-35G, or a TK-35

The guy sitting to the right of the soloist with the Kala cutaway (our left) is playing a Makala. Looks like a tenor.

They could have been recording through their own system. With no mic set for ambient sounds. And I wouldn't say pro, I think they're great and it sounded awesome, but I dunno.... I've never really liked the word pro anyways, lets just say they are talented =)

Yeah, but it takes more time and effort to get that good than a bunch of amatuers would likely have. Further, to get nine people together takes a more professional approach. I fired them off an email asking for more info. We shall see...

Yeah, but it takes more time and effort to get that good than a bunch of amatuers would likely have. Further, to get nine people together takes a more professional approach. I fired them off an email asking for more info. We shall see...

I did not mean for it to seem like I don't appreciate their work, I just don't like the word pro, cuz what about people that are better than what most would define as "pro" I'm not trying to get confrontational or anything, I just don't think labels really apply to many things, I prefer "varying levels of skill" haha. And yes I agree, having a group of this many people play together is a task, they seem to have good chemistry and as I said, I think they are all talented.

EDIT: I was also surprised by how different everyones voice was, but it didn't bother me at all, it sounded good.

The man who sent it to me says:

Hi Harold,
The guy that sings early & is on the right (about 4 in) and wearing a coat is the son of a good friend of mine. I didn't know he was in a band, or that he could sing. He's a shy guy & a very well mannered kid. I'm friends with his aunt & she sent this to me this morning...

So I guess I'll learn more very soon.

Interesting to note that it is apparently possible to make good music without needing a K-brand or custom uke. Moderately priced, factory made ukes seem do do the job quite well (in the right hands)....

Nice song, nice vid. Agree- nice to people just playing factory ukes and doing it well.ope for me yet..;-)

Very nice performance!

"Sit drum"? Never heard it called that before - maybe it's a North American term. It's called a "cajon" (Spanish for box).

Very nice performance!

"Sit drum"? Never heard it called that before - maybe it's a North American term. It's called a "cajon" (Spanish for box).

I didn't know what it was so just called it what it is. The YT description later added "cajon." Now I know.

Good description, Harold. Being a Limey, I have to be careful that an unfamiliar term isn't something very familiar to you colonials across the pond.

Last edited:
Top Bottom