Calling all Utahns!

arashi_nero

Reaction score
So, the club I have been frequenting at BYU is now on hiatus for the summer. Most of the club members are going back to Hawaii for the summer haha. However, I think I'm going to start going bonkers if I don't play with other people. Playing in groups is so much more fun.

Anyway, I was thinking we could get a Utah/Salt Lake County 'Ukulele group going and meet on a regular basis--whatever we decide that is, like once a week, or once every two weeks, or once a month. I know one, maybe two other people that would probably join us. One is in Salt Lake and the other is up at BYU. Other than Link, I don't know how many other Utahns are on the site.

If there are any other people in the Utah/Salt Lake County (or surrounding) areas, please chime in with ideas.

On a side note, I found out from the guy who owns Acoustic Music in Salt Lake City that there is/was an 'ukulele luthier in Lehi and I was wondering if anyone knew more about that.

Aloha Jason, I'm in Slick City (SLC) and Uncle Taco from here is also on UU and of course Link in Ogden. There is a group here that meets monthly I think, usually at the Spraque library in Sugarhouse I think the web site is utahukulele.com . I'm a pilot and am usually out of town when ever they get together so I've yet to be able attend.

kenikas, mahalo! i'll have to check that site out. i think i remember seeing that once before. i just figured it would be great to get all the utahns on the same page. if people are already meeting, it would be great to get it on here too so anyone searching can get with it!

Try Craigslist too! We do an event post on Craigslist for our Uke Jam and had really good response. It is really easy to organisze. Also, putting a card up in the Wilk in the basement (if they still do that) might help.

haha, card in the wilk. byu isn't my alma mater, but it's my wifes. i've spent much time looking at that board. i think if we ever move, lots of our stuff will be on that board. when we did the byu 'ukulele club meetings this last semester, we generally met in the wilk. i've never thought about using craig's list--good idea.

i just checked out the site it's http://www.utahukuleles.com/index.html. according to the site, the next jam session is may 15th. i'll actually be out of town. we may have to set something up before/after that if others are interested.

an interesting side note, they have a link to a law that in slc, it's illegal to carry an uncovered 'ukulele while walking on the streets. :rofl:

I'm in Utah but I am NOT a Utahn. (or Utard, as is sometimes substituted here.:p)

I went to all of the sessions with the Sprague library group up until the last couple. You may like it; they're nice folks, but I have given up on it. (If you really wanna know why, pm me.) Haven't talked to Link in a while, but he kind of disappeared from that scene, too.

The Craigslist music listings here are pretty brutal, if you haven't looked. Good luck with that.

I am thinking of getting a ... "different," thing going (something that would appeal more to the UU crowd) somewhere in SLC, probably at a coffee shop or a bar or something when I can find one that wouldn't mind us occupying a corner now and then. If and when I do, I'll definitely post an invite.

We've discussed the cute unsheathed ukulele law a little.:uhoh: Since home brewing was finally legalized here, skinning my uke in public is now my second favorite illegal activity.

i was actually going to say utards in my thread title. and if you've lived here more than a couple years, you're technically a utahn ;). if you don't want to claim it, it's fine with me haha. i'm not really a utahn either, but i've lived here most of my life.

i'll pm you about your story. if you ever do decide to meet in a bar or coffee shop, let me know. i don't drink either, but i love the smell of coffee and most of me and my wife's family and friends drink, so i'm no stranger to the bar scene.

I want to get something going for real!!! I live in Sandy! I need some people to jam with one a much more frequent level then just every month and a half or longer.

sounds good. when do you want to start? even if we can get 2-3 people, it's always fun to jam with other people.

I am in the process of looking for a new job, so I am just jumping around my girlfriends schedule. After 2 pm - 9pm on the weekdays. She works alternating Wednesday/Saturdays. Days she works Saturdays is 9-5:30. All in all between afternoons and night hours work best. I think we could get a few people going. What types of music are you into, I love playing songs that give a left and a right hook to people hearing them on a uke. Ska has been really fun, I fit more into punk music. I like almost everything though. I'd like to try and help shape a group into getting down some nice strums and aim for a more moderate to harder level song base.... not that I could be placed into those categories. I have seen some of the more begging stuff being tough, but I believe in the fact if you want to learn to juggle 3 balls then you better start by learning to juggle 4 balls. I am a patient person and don't mind showing people the techniques I do know. At this time I don't mind even meeting at a park to get some feet in the door.

Last edited:
yeah, i play music. i like strumming and picking. i like easy and hard. so, basically, whatever everyone wants to learn, i'm chill. and playing in a park is always fun. i'm sure we could find something between sandy and orem (point of the mountain maybe). just let me know and we'll start getting something setup. i'm usually free weekday evenings. weekends just depends what the wife wants to do.

Top Bottom