I keep doing the same strum pattern !

angelicadawgg

Reaction score
please help me. i think its annoying.
or does anyone know the strum patterns "hey daddy" or "nothing on you" ?

Hey, I've got the same problem. I'm stuck with down, down, up, up, down!!! I've tried counting whilst I play which helps, so doing for example 1,2,3and 4and which is d, d ,d, u, d, u. But as soon as I try and sing along I go straight back to d,d,u,u,d!!! Think I'll just have to stick with counting for a bit and save everyone from hearing my awful singing voice!!

Also, try playing different kinds of music.

I have a "regular" strum pattern, but for different types of music.
I have a "latin" pattern, "Hawaiian", "Waltz", "Rock and Roll", etc.

I find that I'm not so concerned about learning various strumming
patterns. When I find a song I want to play, I try to mimic the rhythm.
That's how I "do" my rhythm/strum pattern thing.

Meanwhile, I rather enjoy my strumming. Perhaps to others it might
sound plain, or even interesting. For me, well, it just helps me play
the songs I like.

Keep uke-in',

please help me. i think its annoying.
or does anyone know the strum patterns "hey daddy" or "nothing on you" ?

Yep I too am very much a one strum pony. Too much chunking. I've been trying to teach myself new strums with no chunking but they sound dull. I watch the good players and they really mix it all together. So I guess my target ( maybe yours too!) is to persevere, self discipline , develop a range of strums patterns that can eventually be combined with instinct and hey presto I'll be an ukulele player.

I estimate my next progress report to be in September 2018

Cheers

Stew

Same here. I can try to change strum patterns, but then the chords are horrid. You have your choice - strums or chords with me. I am hoping that continued practice will make it better somehow. I wish I could find a good instructor around here. (Dallas)

in my experience, uncle rod is right.
try just playing songs of different genre's and experimenting to try to find new strum patterns.
i find that more interesting and natural strums come up when you discover them yourself...
so play around, and come up with some new stums just through experimentation!
jut make a conscious choice not to revert to the same strums that you already know.
good luck!!

@ Seeso: thx for the pdf with some patterns. Okay, you have to learn when or if a new pattern fits but in the meanwhile, I'm happy to have some aid - like this sheet.

@ Seeso: thx for the pdf with some patterns. Okay, you have to learn when or if a new pattern fits but in the meanwhile, I'm happy to have some aid - like this sheet.

Bitte schön!

Top Bottom