Fishman vs MiSi

TheVandal

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this? I'm trying to amplify my uke and I was planning on either getting the MiSi Acoustic Trio or the Fishman Matrix Infinity. I've read the extensive review of the MiSi, yet I haven't found anything on the Fishman. Can anyone shed some light on me? xD

Thanks for the help!

Niko

I chose the MiSi for the lack of battery install inside my uke. I didn't want a 9V taking up space in there...the nice aspect of the MiSi is you can charge it up and the charge lasts for hours, and I always carry a 9V battery in my case for an instant charge if needed.

Is there a major difference between the two aside from the soundboard controls?

I think its because people think the fishman is intrusive...the Mi-Si is clean installation without all the hardware inside your uke. The downside to the Mi-Si is the lack of tone controls, but everything you plug into is going to have controls of its own.

The mi-si really picks up the sound of my fingers on the strings, dunno if the fishman does it also, but it kind of bothers me.

My Lanikai does that and I absolutely hate that. Anyone know the pickup that doesn't do that?

Niko, I prefer the Fishman pickup with the MiSi jack..... but you have to buy them separate...e.lo..

So does this = the clean install of the misi and the quality of the fishman with out the 9v battery? I'm confused on how this works.. I'm looking for the best possible option for my incoming Kanile'a. AG told me the other day that he uses a Fishman Matrix Active Pickup but wasn't sure of the exact model.

If I use nails or a pick though it's not as noticable, which just means I would need to practice it more. The same thing happens with my electric guitar, it's just something I need to find out how to work with.

I like fishman, more pros use it and is proven for its reliability. Also the under saddle transducer for the fishman is more proper in size for the uke compared to the wider misi undersaddle ribbon sensor that is intended for guitars.

My Lanikai does that and I absolutely hate that. Anyone know the pickup that doesn't do that?

So does this = the clean install of the misi and the quality of the fishman with out the 9v battery? I'm confused on how this works.. I'm looking for the best possible option for my incoming Kanile'a. AG told me the other day that he uses a Fishman Matrix Active Pickup but wasn't sure of the exact model.

Colmes, you got it. Basically, you just use the Fishman piezo and soldier it to the MiSi jack and you're done. However, the rub is buying each part separately. I was fortunate enough to find a dealer will to sell me each part separately. It still came out to around $150...e.lo...

you're gonna have noise from the strings and body regardless of the pickup because they are all transducers...that is, they pick up vibrations and translate them into sound.

The active Fishmans are definitely nicer than the passive ones, but personally I like the LR Baggs (which is what is attached to the MiSi jack) better. Less 'quack' and more natural to my ear. Good balance too.

The mi-si really picks up the sound of my fingers on the strings, dunno if the fishman does it also, but it kind of bothers me.

I find all under saddle transducers do this. That's part of why I prefer K & K soundboard transducers. There is a little handling noise, but the sound is more "woody" and does not have the "quack" associated with UST's.

Does anyone know what the exact size of the ribbon included with the Mi-Si Pickup?

from the video aldrin did for the install, it looks like the entire wire going from the jack to the tip was the "ribbon". it was fairly long. it's not like the fishman where it has a specific piece that looks like it goes under the saddle.

i've played a couple ukes with the mi-si pickup and i like it. everything feels pretty balanced. i would like to try the fishman just to know the difference personally.

Does anyone know what the exact size of the ribbon included with the Mi-Si Pickup?

I'm not positive how long it was, I just remember they said to have it coiled tightly. Here is a thread with pics: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?14734-Mi-Si-pickup-installed-(pics)

Here is a video of Joe Souza from Kanile'a and Aldrine as a MiSi is installed into a Kanile'a. http://ukuleleunderground.com/2009/11/21/uke-minutes-69-how-to-install-an-ukulele-pickup/

Hope the thread and video help...

I've used both the MiSi and the Fishman. Between the two you mentioned, I like the sound of the MiSi more, and it's overall lighter. MiSi is going to come out with tone controls soon, but you can also add tone controls to it (they gave me a diagram on how to do it.

Personally, on my Koaloha tenor that I mostly use, I use a Fishman Prefix Pro Blend, probably my favorite out of the Fishman that I can stuff into my uke:

http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=38

Top Bottom