Any Big Uke Events Coming Up?

swaller

Reaction score

Does anyone know about major ukulele events happening between April 30th and May 16th? It could be a new uke store opening, a major concert, a festival, etc. It could be anywhere in the US, but should be something pretty major in the uke world.

(I've heard word of a National Play Your Ukulele Day on May 2nd. Has anyone else heard about that? I'm trying to figure out if that is a small thing, or really something that's gone national.)

Thanks so much!
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

The 2010 Lone Star Uke Fest in Dallas, Texas, is on Thursday April 29 through Saturday May 1. I'm not sure how big an event it is, but Texans tend to do everything big. Here's the Uke Fest's website: http://www.lonestarukefest.com/

The 2010 New York Uke Fest in New York City (Manhattan) is from Wednesday May 12 through Sunday May 16. Lots of big names in ukulele music -- Victoria Vox, James Hill, Lil Rev, and Jim and Liz Beloff -- are scheduled to perform there, and the new documentary "Mighty Uke" (http://mightyukemovie.com/) will be shown on Wednesday evening. Here's the NY Uke Fest's URL: http://www.nyukefest.com/

Last edited:
Yes, the Dallas Festival is going to be superb. Here's the line-up:

"James Hill, Gerald Ross, Kimo Hussey, Debbie Porter, Pops Bayless, Mark "Spanky" Gutierez, Ukulele Bartt and Dennis McBride... along with special guest appearances by The Wahooligans & more!"

I'll be there.

Big enough for me.

I plan on attending the Lil' Rev workshop in my back yard on May 2. I'll start my own thread to let more folks know about it. I had no idea that it was play your ukulele day. What a nice way to celebrate. Victoria Vox is in the LA area next later this week. This is not in your "window", but it is to mark the release of her new album, Exact Change, which I got my pre-order download of yesterday...and it is AWESOME! She recorded much of it with Boulder Acoustic Society. Terrific songs, terrific sounds. The actual release date is May 25, but you can see Victoria Vox and Lil' Rev at the NY uke fest on May 14-15.
I thought every day was "Play Your Uke Day"?
Bill

Yes, the Dallas Festival is going to be superb. Here's the line-up:

"James Hill, Gerald Ross, Kimo Hussey, Debbie Porter, Pops Bayless, Mark "Spanky" Gutierez, Ukulele Bartt and Dennis McBride... along with special guest appearances by The Wahooligans & more!"

I'll be there.

I'm psyched for this too! I will also be attending the Lone Star Uke Fest. Hope to be able to meet you face to face, Ken!

Ken does this mean you are going to be in the U.S. for an extended stay? We're going to be seeing you at UWC, right? This is exciting.

Ken does this mean you are going to be in the U.S. for an extended stay? We're going to be seeing you at UWC, right? This is exciting.

No, Sukie. I will be in Dallas for 4 nights. I am representing Ohana of course, so it will be a business trip. The purpose is to show some of the new instruments that we unveiled at Frankfurt.

As far as the UWC is concerned? No, I probably won't be there. It is not an event that I can attend on business. Although I would love to go along and jam with some of the friends that I have never actually met, I really can't justify the cost. Also, I may have work somewhere in Europe at that time.

Sorry. If I can get there, I will. But it looks unlikely.

Top Bottom