2.5 inch crack on new Kamaka Tenor

NoDeadBodies

Reaction score
I was just wiping down my 2 month old Kamaka tenor and i noticed a 2.5" hairline crack running from the bottom of the bridge towards the bottom of uke (bottom of standing with headstock up)... Im kinda freakin out..this wasnt there when i purchased it, yet i havent dropped it or knocked it with anything or run into any walls or doorways.

Any advice on what i should do?/what i could do?

PS was purchased from MGM

img_0698.jpg

img_0700.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry about your uke!

I was just on Kamaka's website today and it talks about how to deal with repair/warranty issues with their ukes. Basically, it says to contact the retailer from whom you bought the uke to get guidance on having Kamaka deal with any issue. Check it out.....
http://www.kamakahawaii.com/warranty.html

I feel for you! By the way, will you let me know how this turns out, I am really interested in hearing the outcome. Hang in there, things will work out!

Better to have talked to M before you posted this.

With respect Bumpkin, it just sounded like an honest question to me.....no one was getting bashed or insulted. His uke cracked, he was freaking out and asked for thoughts on a uke forum.....

yet i havent dropped it or knocked it with anything or run into any walls or doorways.

I feel for you...whereas all of my ukes are my babies, my Kamaka tenor and KoAloha tenor definitely get more attention than the rest. I'd feel just as panic-stricken if I were in your shoes. How is the humidity in your house? I wouldn't expect it to crack after only 2 months, but I had a similar crack in my Taylor guitar due to humidity issues. The guitar sat, out of its case, by a window for a year. The apartment I lived at the time got really, really dry during the winter. The neck got really bowed, the soundboard had a crack, and the bridge started lifting. Weather and humidity can be killers. I now have all my ukes and guitars in my bedroom closet. I got a hygrometer and I run a humidifier non-stop during the winter which has kept the humidity between 47-51%.

Bumpkin and Ryan are both right.

Bumpkin is correct in that the dealer is the first port of call for problems with a new instrument.

As Ryan says, it sounds like an honest question asked because the OP was worried and seeking advice.

An experienced member may consider it courteous to contact the dealer before posting. The OP is a new member.

NoDeadBodies, contact Mike (MGM) as soon as you can and speak to him about your uke. He da man, and he'll do what is appropriate. :)

Sorry about your uke!

I was just on Kamaka's website today and it talks about how to deal with repair/warranty issues with their ukes. Basically, it says to contact the retailer from whom you bought the uke to get guidance on having Kamaka deal with any issue. Check it out.....
http://www.kamakahawaii.com/warranty.html

I feel for you! By the way, will you let me know how this turns out, I am really interested in hearing the outcome. Hang in there, things will work out!

Where do you live? It could have been a humidity problem. I had a Mele koa that cracked after I left it out in my classroom during a cold spell (my district turns heat off over night) for 4 days. I feel your pain though bro. Hopefully it will be fine.

Top Bottom