What fretmarker placement do you prefer?

Dane

Reaction score
I was just looking around at different ukes, and I noticed that most have marks at 5,7,10 and 12. Sometimes with a few others, maybe 3 or 15. I don't mind missing a 3 marker, it doesn't bother me in the least, but what does bother me is how some ukes have a marker at 9 and other have the marker at 10. I prefer to have a 9 instead of a 10 for some reason. And I like it when a uke has markers on the side of the fretboard as well (Mine doesn't have them on the side, and it was an issue at first, I even had made my own markers out of stickers and put em on the side when I first got it, but I've gotten used to it and it's not an issue anymore)

So how bout you guys? This is mostly regarding the 9 vs 10 marker, but whatever =)

I like the regular 5 7 10 12 15. But for the side markers, I like when it only has the 5

I like having 5 7 10 12, but my Fluke only has 5 7 12 which really confused me at first! I do miss the 10, I may have to add one there later. I don't really mind about side markers, but probably 5 and 7 would be best if they were there.

i like the fret markers in the 5 7 10 12 15, but i don't feel they're 100% necessary. i do think i'd go nuts without the side markers on those frets tho. i hate trying to look at my fretboard and now that i'm getting better at fretting chords, i like having the side markers as a reference. if i ever get a custom made uke, i think i'm going to have something inlaid on the fretboard, so i wouldn't even use the fret markers anyway.

I'm a minimalist. Markers on 7 and 12 would be enough for me but you don't usually have that option on most ukuleles.

I don't know if having the 9 is an ohana thing, but I really like it more. but my whole board is 5 7 9 12 15, which works really well for me. You really don't miss the 3 for more than like a day, and because it's gone, having the marker at 9 doesn't confuse me. I have gotten used to not being able to see my fretmarkers on the side, you can see them from just a slight angle of the uke. I've also just gotten much better at knowing my way around the fretboard because of it. I'm memory accurate about 90% of the time up to the 13th fret.

I was just looking around at different ukes, and I noticed that most have marks at 5,7,10 and 12. Sometimes with a few others, maybe 3 or 15.
As a former guitar player, I am used to 3, 5, 7, 10 (sometimes 9), 12, 15, 17 even 19. I would prefer ukes have 3, 5, 7, 10, 12 and where possible 15. With side dots as well, not just fretboard markers.

I'm not sure why most manufacturers seem to ignore the 3rd fret, but I wish they would put a marker there, as well. I wear bifocals and sometimes can't see the frets very well because they're outside the range of the part of the lense I'm using. The markers are VERY helpful for when I'm playing and ned to glance at the fretboard quickly to make sure a chord change is going to the right place. A third-fret marker would be greatly appreciated.

I play so much in the dark that I don't use fret markers much. My ukes are marked at 3, 5, 7, 10, 12. The only ones I really use are 7 and 12, and that's mostly just for leads.

When I play out, I tend to use them more because my hands shake so badly that I don't trust my "muscle memory" (I get really bad stagefright).

i come from a guitar background, so i am not a fan of the marker on the 10th fret. so i solved this by marking on the side of the fretboard (i much prefer sidemarkers too) with a spot of white-out at the 3 5 7 9 and 12th frets. works splendidly.

I play so much in the dark that I don't use fret markers much. My ukes are marked at 3, 5, 7, 10, 12. The only ones I really use are 7 and 12, and that's mostly just for leads.

When I play out, I tend to use them more because my hands shake so badly that I don't trust my "muscle memory" (I get really bad stagefright).
Yup, that all goes for me too; except I don't play in the dark, but I just don't much look at my fingers when I'm playing.

I like the side markers and use them for my reference. The fret board markers (IMHO) are for others while jamming. I was sitting accross from a player with a guitar with micro dots, I could not tell where he was on the fret board when he went out of the first position.

I use mostly the 5 & 7 markers and the double dot at 12 for reference.

I like the side markers and use them for my reference. The fret board markers (IMHO) are for others while jamming. I was sitting accross from a player with a guitar with micro dots, I could not tell where he was on the fret board when he went out of the first position.

I use mostly the 5 & 7 markers and the double dot at 12 for reference.

thinking about this, i think that's true. nothing wrong with aldrine's uke--probably one of the most beautiful i've seen, but when he's doing live lessons and i have the volume down a bit, i get lost where he's at on the fretboard sometimes.

I like side markers at 1, 2, 4, 7, 8 and 11. Ok, just kidding...

Top Bottom