Going over to the dark side...

Pete, Don't know that I have aspirations of ever builing an instrument, but I thoroughly enjoy your videos. Thanks for sharing.

PETE! you are the man. I find myself checking daily for your posts. This one is great. Seeing someone lay out a neck was awesome. I am wondering though, mm? Inches, feet, miles, they all make so much more sense. :)
thanks again!

I'm bi-lingual when it comes to measurement - I have a European market I have to appeal to you know!

That's a great video. A whole different method from the way I'm doing it. Thanks Pete.

Was the contradiction the "dog's dinner" you sandwiched in the middle there?
Great video--thank you.

btw, I really wish the US would switch to metric like they promised they would back when I was a kid.

Yep - it's all I had that would contrast nicely to the tortoise binding that's going on the body - but Matt, you have only found one. There are more :)

Was the contradiction the "dog's dinner" you sandwiched in the middle there?
Great video--thank you.

btw, I really wish the US would switch to metric like they promised they would back when I was a kid.

Funny you mention that. My pet peeve. The introduction of the metric system here in Canada back in the 70's or when ever it was, WAS AND STILL IS A DISASTER . It's a joke

It never caught on all the way, or properly. It was to hard for Old Dogs to convert and Instead of becoming fluent in the metric system we lost our ability to use the old system or metric system properly. This generation of kids is supposed to be the metric generation but they seem to be at more of a lose than the old schoolers.

I used to know how far a mile was. Can't quite get a visual on a Kilometer.

The bass was about 6 pounds. What the hell is a Kilogram look like???

I know what 24 inches is. Don't ask me what 50 centimeters is. We still measure in inches and weigh in pounds but everything we buy at the market is in metrics. The lumber yard still sells lumber in inches and feet but nails are weighed in kilo whatever.

4 liters of gas equal one gallon of gas or is it a quart of oil how many ml's or is it oz.

I have to convert mm to inches to get a visual. A Rosette is 93mm I/D and 130mm O/D. My plans call for a sound hold with a diameter of 2 1/2". Great! .080" converted to mm is

... I really wish the US would switch to metric like they promised they would back when I was a kid.

Matt, I grew up with inches and learned metric in school, but then switched to metric (almost exclusively) when I moved to Europe. I do think there is a place for inches, feet, miles, pounds, ounces, cups... but especially with smaller measurements like mm and grams the metric system is so much easier. And the really cool thing is you can actually derive one dimension from the other - for example a gram is the weight of one cubic centimeter of water (at a defined temperature, but the idea works anyway). So a kilogram is the weight of a cube of water that is 10x10x10 centimeters. And so on... it's not just metric, it's decimetric. Still, I do laugh inside when I see people (I won't say who, cause she would kill me) weighing out nn grams of flour and butter to make pancakes ;) Precision pancakes...

Last edited:
Top Bottom