OUch! I think the uke gave me wrist/thumb pain!

slouke

Reaction score
Several years ago I developed major pain on the thumb side of my left wrist. It was diagnosed as De Quearvain's Tenosynovitis (also called Blackberry Thumb!). I had two cortisone injections and finally surgery. Now after playing my uke a lot I developed pain in my right wrist.. Same diagnosis. Some of the causes listed included instrument playing! I just had a cortisone injection a couple days ago and it finally feels much better. So be careful out there everyone!
RT

I had thumb pain, too in what sounds like a similar spot. I went for acupuncture..probably a total of 6 times...it's much, much better now...I can still feel it "under there" and baby my wrist a lot...but I got a lot of relief from acupuncture. Hope yours feels better soon.

Anyone's physician mention the possibility of ergonomics? There's always the chance that people are doing something to aggravate their hands. For instance, I will develop sharp pain in my wrists or hands if I forget to keep my wrists elevated above my computer's keyboard when using it. It's like a carpal tunnel syndrome.

If "Blackberry Thumb" refers to a syndrome people get from typing into their Blackberry phones with their thumbs, then we are talking about an ergonomics issue.

Better than pursuing surgery or shots, the next best advice is to do differently what you were doing before. If you're pain comes from improperly holding your uke, do reconsider how you're doing that. Maybe using a thong might help you stumble onto a different playing configuration with your hands, wrists, and forearms. And do keep things relaxed. You need only so much pressure to press down uke strings.

--Dave E.

Top Bottom