guitarlele into 6 string uke string spacing?

rudeuke

Reaction score
hey all im planing on taking my guitarlele and turning it into a 6 string uke

the length at nut measures 1" and a 11/16th i am planing to buy new nut for this and was wondering what the string spacing should be so i dont have excese space but the course's can still be strumed?

is there some rule to use when dealing with course's of strings or is it an eyeballed thing?

I would bring your G and A string in closer from the edge of the finger board than you normally would. My guess would be between 3 and 4 mm in. Otherwise, with a nut that wide it could be hard to play if the strings were too far apart. I like 2mm spacing between the doubles. That way they can be easily played together without getting in each others' way (buzzing together). You're on your own with the other strings.
Good luck.

Isn't a guitarlele already six strings?

The difference is that the guitarlele has six strings set separately and each tuned to a different note (like a guitar but normally tuned up a fourth), whereas the six-string uke has double strings on the A and C (tuned in octaves) and single strings on the E and G - like so: G cC E aA (or maybe also with a low g, although this is not the preferred tuning).

Last edited:
I would have thought that the nut width would better lend itself to an 8-string, but there's the headstock, I suppose.

Post lots of pics as you do this.

I think you are going to have to do some modification to the bridge or wherever the strings are tied at that end. If you change the nut spacing it will be fine at that end of the ukulele but as the strings get closer to the bridge they are going to go back towards the gutiar spacing due to where they are anchored.

I think you are going to have to do some modification to the bridge or wherever the strings are tied at that end. If you change the nut spacing it will be fine at that end of the ukulele but as the strings get closer to the bridge they are going to go back towards the gutiar spacing due to where they are anchored.
That was my thought as well. You're going to need to change the nut and the saddle.

That was my thought as well. You're going to need to change the nut and the saddle.
i already planned for this and was thinking that i could just youse a small nail as a guide behind the bridge that would let me use the saddle i have..
i aint going for look on this one hahah its already a pretty unique guitar that is hand made from mexico so i think i shall contunue with that diy mentalaty..... here's some pics
Photo20.jpg

Photo22.jpg

Photo23.jpg

and heres the messed up nut (clealry i need a new one)
Photo21.jpg

I would think you could also have two strings coming from the same bridge pin/hole.
You probably still need to replace the saddle and the nut.
The guitarle is cool, I would leave it alone and look for a six string ukulele.

I would think you could also have two strings coming from the same bridge pin/hole.
You probably still need to replace the saddle and the nut.
The guitarle is cool, I would leave it alone and look for a six string ukulele.
yea i was thinking that for a while after going out buying some guitar strings i just realized i have no skill/intrest in playing the guitar...

Top Bottom