finished #2

Philstix

Reaction score
Well here is number two finished. Walnut back, sides and neck, coco-bolo fingerbaord, curly maple binding and curly mango end graft. Sitka spruce top. Nitrocellulose finish with an epoxy grain fill. I will try to post a sample of the sound later. Though the woods are completely different it sounds the same as my first one in curly mango.

Attachments

• December-March201&#48.jpg
    December-March201&#48.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 84
    105 KB · Views: 73
  • Copy of December-&.jpg
    Copy of December-&.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 79
    105 KB · Views: 73
    95.7 KB · Views: 71
Very nice work - the walnut looks great, and the spruce too for that matter.

Though the woods are completely different it sounds the same as my first one in curly mango.

The whole tonewood issue is being thrashed out in another thread so I don't want to overdo it here, but it has been said that the sound has more to do with the builder than the tonewood - one place that comes to mind is the Heretic's Guide by John Calkin. For further discussion you might want to post your observation in the Tonewoods in Guitars thread.

Nice looking builds there.
That rope bound has my UAS flaring up...and I have been so good. : 0 P

Looks great Phil! The walnut really takes a nice finish. I recently picked up some quartersawn peruvian walnut, which even unfinished is very dark brown. I have high hopes for it.

Your ukes look to be about 3" deep? My first three are like that, though the one I'm working on now is 2.5", which seems more inline with my store-bought ukes. It'll be interesting to see how different, if any, it sounds from the others.

Keep up the fine work.

Hot stuff Philstix. I like that endgraft alot!!
Is the body deeper than usual?

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes they are 3 inches deep tapering to 2 1/2 at the neck. The shape of the endgraft is modeled on the MooreBettah ukes and I couldn't resist the way the curl on the mango mimiced the striping on the walnut.

Looks great! I like the look of the walnut neck, how does it feel? Nice balance with the walnut sides and back?

It is fairly well balanced with the body of the instrument. I will probably go a little thinner with the next one. The cocabolo fingerboard is probably a little thicker than it needed to be and cocabolo is a heavy wood.

Thanks for the reply.. I have some walnut I'm seeing necks in. Thin would be good I think.

Top Bottom