Fingerpicking: Am I picking up a bad habit?

The Gunrunner Rimbaud

Reaction score
So I've decided to start practicing fingerpicking, since I want a new challenge. I'm starting small, by simply breaking down chords and watching youtube vids on fingerpicking songs, however I always find myself doing it somewhat different from how it's diagrammed.

Say on the vid it says G - Thumb, C -Thumb, E - Index, A - Middle, then back again, I always end up doing on the down stroke G -Thumb, C -Thumb, E - Index, A-Middle, then on the way back A - Middle, E - Index, C -Index, G-thumb. Is this a bad habit? It just feels easier and I sorta drift to it if I don't think about it. I don't want to be going about things the wrong way...

I too am learning fingerpicking and I have found that there are many many styles you can use. But I believe that the method you use is comfortable to you and the notes are clear, then you are good. I have seen people only use their thumb and thay played great. If you want to do the picking using the same methods on the videos, then simply pick using the correct fingers VERY SLOWLY. Eventualy you will "learn" which finger belongs on each string.
Again, I am learnig this as well and I hope this helps. I am sure others will also help out with this problem.
Good Luck!!!

Aloha!

Last edited:
I agree, as long as it's comfortable and it sounds good then you're fine. I've played guitar for a while so when I started to play uke I watched videos of different musicians fingerpicking and saw people do it so many different ways. I saw some people play with 4 fingers, some with 3, and I noticed that Jack Johnson only uses his thumb and index finger when he plays..

There are not many "only" ways to play.

When watching a training video, try doing the way shown. That will keep things clearer. After you get the hang of it, you will have firm foundation upon which to build. Then you can experiment and find your own way. Keep in mind that it's all a process. You will not just one day "get it" and be done.

Top Bottom