Ukulele Underground attending 40th Uke Fest in Honolulu this July

Howie1947

Reaction score
I may have as asked this question before, not sure if we got a response. Last year UU had a nice litttle picnic/jam session the Sat before the Festival. It was awesome, food, Aldrine and crew. Any chance of doing it again this year??

Yeah, Howie1947!

It would be great to be able to have a reunion of sorts. Now that we've met each other
and had a great time at the Festival.

Maybe this time we can all sit together somewhere at the Festival.

I thought Kaka'ako WaterFront Park was a good location and would like to have it there again.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Keep uke-in',

It would be nice to get some sort of respose from UU................Either yes or no...................or maybe it is too soon to make a comittment??

I'm really excited to be attending this year's festival...I just bought my plane tickets a couple of days ago. The lineup of performers looks great, this year Jake Shimabukuro and Herb Ohta, Jr. are both performing, as are Ohta-san and James Hill. http://www.ukulelefestivalhawaii.org/en/oahu/performers.htm

Hey All UUers, perhaps we can do our own Picnic at Kaka'ako Waterfront Park or in the nearby Ala Moana Beach Park (easier to get to).

Maybe we could just invite the UU powers that be to join us without having to "host" it.

We could do a potluck. I don't have a BBQ in Honolulu, but if a local resident UUer could supply one, I'd be happy to help out with the
cooking of hotdogs and hamburgers, maybe teriyaki meat, etc. (Oh, somebody got to bring the cooked white rice and mac salad)

Chips and Soda and assorted treats could make this a great time.

And, of course, ukulele playing, singing, ad hoc lessons, etc.

We could even hold it at Kapiolani Park to scope out the best places to gather for the Ukulele Festival (in the shade!).

Any interest?

You can count both Kris and myself in for that..........Good idea Uncle Rod............Hopefully we can make it a reality...........

I have plane ticket, hotel reservation, and a check in the mail for the Gala - I'm IN!! Please keep me posted.

This will be my first visit to the festival, and the first time that I will have some time to visit music stores and luthier shops. Recognizing that there may be others from outside the "808" that are interested in factory tours or purchasing a great uke during this festival, would one of the Oahu brothers/sisters of UU be willing/able to organize a tour of one or more of the Ks for a group of UU participants? Thanks.

This will be my first visit to the festival, and the first time that I will have some time to visit music stores and luthier shops. Recognizing that there may be others from outside the "808" that are interested in factory tours or purchasing a great uke during this festival, would one of the Oahu brothers/sisters of UU be willing/able to organize a tour of one or more of the Ks for a group of UU participants? Thanks.

Looks like a lot of us UUers (especially from Cali) will be there. Definitely try to do the tours. I have done the Kamaka, KoAloha and Kanile'a tours and enjoyed each of them. Kamaka is very close to downtown, and it isn't too far to KoAloha, but the bus ride to Kanile'a in Kaneohe was a bit far. If you can find a local 808 UU'er to drive you, you will save a lot of time.

The problem with that idea is that all of the builders will be at the festival. It takes a lot of work to participate in these things so I don't know how willing they'll be to give a shop tour while they are trying to get ready to exhibit. I'm not trying to discourage you but just know that it may not be "business as normal" that week. It's always a good idea to call beforehand.

I wish I had access to a van, then I'd be happy to take a group around the Island to see the sights and visit the Big K's for their tours.

As it is, I'll be lucky to have a Kia Rio when my daughter's at work. Oh, wait. I'll be caring for my mom when my sis is in Iowa awaiting
the birth of her grandchild. I may have the Buick! That should seat 5 or 6(?). Hey, maybe we can do something about getting to Kanile'a
after all.

Let's try to get together for a "day-before' picnic at Kapiolani Park or Ala Moana Beach Park. We can get our own food from the food courd
at Ala Moana Shopping Center then go across the street to the Beach Park and then walk to Kapiolani to check out the better seating places
for the Festival. (Or, if I have the Buick, I can give us a ride to Kapiolani).

Let's keep this thread alive with info as we get closer.

I'm getting more and more excited!

Thanks for the heads up, Chuck.

That is helpful information. May be Monday following the Festival might work.

We can always ask at the booths on the day of the Festival.

OR... we could just ride around the Island and play at various beach parks.

OR... we could do a "do-over" of the 'day before' Picnic at Ala Mona Beach Park.

I'll be in for the festival too. I won't get in until late Saturday night though. KoAloha is having their 15th anniversary bash on Monday so I'm not sure if they are going to be available for tours that day. You could check ahead for Kanile'a and Kamaka. Also check if MGM will be in his shop on the day you go to Kanile'a since his shop is a block away. Lots of good stuff in there!

Looks like the Matson ship I plan on working on will be in Honolulu that weekend. Arrives on Saturday the 17th and departs on Monday the 19th. Pretty cool! I'll make it a point to drop by and look for the scene. I just hope that I won't forget by then with all the work between now and then... :wallbash: The dreaminess of working on the ocean can do that to you.

--Dave E.

Last edited:
dont forget to visit the KoAloha booth!!

Top Bottom