Ukulele Stress Relief! I know you do too :D

kissing

Reaction score
Do you play your uke when you feel stressed?

I've been doing that a LOT lately. When I feel stressed about Uni (final year of uni... thinking of the future... and being behind in loads of work T_T), I would just grab the closest uke, and jam.

Tonight I was having a massive anxiety attack. Couldn't relax in bed. So I got up, and jammed on my Risa electric with heavy distortion on (using headphones though.. late at night).

And it made things better.

I should really catch up on behind-work.
UAS is also at its peak when you're busy and stressed though :)

Last edited:
I play my funky ukes (watermelon and dolphin) a lot lately because I just can't help but smile when I look at them.

The ukulele is my best friend for stress relief. I need to play at least every day or two, otherwise I am subject to stress symptoms. I used to get that fluttery anxiety when it has been too long between jobs. This year has been really slow so far too. In addition, family situations can be stressful. Sometimes I bring it over to my Mom's house and play for her, and she enjoys it too. So, the uke has made a great difference for me.

–Lori

i play my uke when i'm stressed. i hope my soprano case comes in so i can start taking that to work instead of my tenor. i've even had days where i'm so out of it that i don't even want to touch my uke because i know if i do, i'll feel better. i usually force myself to play and feel better almost instantaneously.

Depends if I can control the "throwing things" factor. Luckily I haven't thrown anything in a very long time, lol. :)

Definitely! It also helps if I'm feeling a bit depressed. I just can't help but smile when I play, I've come to the conclusion that frowning and uke-ing are like licking your elbow and swimming at the same time. Very few can manage it.
It's gotten to the point where if I'm in a really bad mood someone will go tell me to play my uke. xD

Yup, major stress relief. Now if I could only figure out how to make it a cardio workout.

I was stressed on the way home from work today, anxiety running high, and didn't realize until I read this thread that I'm stress free after having uke in hand for the last 4 hours.

My guitar was my main stress reliever until I started learning ukulele and it's now moved to the top.

There's a story I love to remember... at our vet school's talent show one of my professors brought his old beat-up baritone ukulele to play. When I told him that I play uke too, he pointed to his uke and said, "This thing is probably the only reason I survived vet school." I agreed that I felt the same way about my ukes. I really got into playing my 2rd year of vet school and it helped me through some of the most stressful days/weeks/semesters.

I think that during the most stressful times in life, you have to hold on to the things that make you happy or else you'll go nuts. And not to sound cheesy but... playing your favorite uke is just like hearing a familiar comforting voice of a loved one.

Next only to my poodle curled up in my lap as a stress buster.

Sometimes I take my uke stress relief too far. :) Like Thursday, I was trying to sit down and study for my chemistry exam, and every time I would pull out my book/online lecture notes to look over them, I would get all stressed trying to learn things that I didn't really understand. So then I would pick up my uke and play for a while. Before I knew it, it was merely hours before my exam and I'd barely studied at all...but I didn't really feel like my time was wasted. :D

Top Bottom