Camera Fright

cornfedgroove

Reaction score
Sooo I can play in front of people on a regular basis with little problem, but if I sit down with a video camera for...oh, I dont know...the Mya Moe Contest, I get all jittery and clumsy like a caffeinated pregnant woman with loose joints. It's like the camera is causing electrical interference as my brain is trying to communicate to my fingers and remember the words. Dang, I'm a dufus.

Anyone else have this problem?

I get it, too. My husband says I act weird with the camera on, and even do it some at the on-line mini jams.

I also get really bad stage fright. There's a lot of stuff that I can play in a more intimate setting (less than 30 people) that I can't do on camera or in front of a larger audience because of my shaking hands.

The only time I don't get it is in a really spontaneous situation.

I don't have the problem because I'm so ugly cameras can't film me without the lenses breaking.

BUT, BUT, I've heard there is a secret technique for handling this issue...
imagine the camera in it's underwear.

Have a Great Day,
Jim

I don't get nervous in front of the camera, (have only done one video so far), but I found that I was so boring that I couldn't post it. My wife is all bubbly and smiley and I look like death with a ukulele.

The first half dozen were pretty awful. I was inspired to not worry about it after watching Grumpy's vids. He just lets it all fly.

Sometimes the temptation is to shoot the video all by yourself, in an empty room. If you do that, just let the camera roll, and keep playing no matter what. Eventually you will get used to the process, and you will be able to (almost) forget the camera is on. The other way to approach it is to have people you love in the room with you while you are shooting. It helps you to relax and be yourself, which will help in the performance and your facial expressions. Give up on it being perfect. It will only drive you crazy, and you will never finish. Perfection isn't everything, and you will have a more sparkly performance if you aren't too stressed.
–Lori

That little bloody red lamp hates me.

But then I shake like a leaf when performing for anyone, too.

It's a question of getting used to new situations. If you can take it, push yourself through to where you're comfortable again.

Top Bottom