When is a PS not a PS?

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
To be perfectly clear....I don't for a minute think it IS a Koaloha Pineapple Sanday, I just think it looks uncannily LIKE a Koaloha Pineapple Sunday....
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. That said... I'd love to own it! :p If nothing else to show how superior KoAloha is to this imitator.

That looks way too nice to go for $300. I wonder what it sounds like...

I like the pineapple neck, pretty clever.

Hmmm, if I were the Okamis I wouldn't be thrilled. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but that is pushing it. Those masterpiece collection ukes (the PS, the Sceptre and the Jukulele) are so unique and original, all designs that Papa KoAloha had himself. For this seller to claim it is a unique design is questionable when really the only major stylistic differences are the oval soundhole, and the pineapple design on the neck. He is at least not using koa wood but I still think it is a little close for comfort.

Hmmm, if I were the Okamis I wouldn't be thrilled. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but that is pushing it. Those masterpiece collection ukes (the PS, the Sceptre and the Jukulele) are so unique and original, all designs that Papa KoAloha had himself. For this seller to claim it is a unique design is questionable when really the only major stylistic differences are the oval soundhole, and the pineapple design on the neck. He is at least not using koa wood but I still think it is a little close for comfort.

But then I've got two KoAlohas with pineapple shaped bodies. Didn't Sam Kamaka come up with that style of ukulele? Are they too close for comfort? I think not.

Jude

But then I've got two KoAlohas with pineapple shaped bodies. Didn't Sam Kamaka come up with that style of ukulele? Are they too close for comfort? I think not.

Jude

I disagree Jude. The pineapple shape is a generic oval style (albeit with some tonal results), this ukulele contains the exact same scalloping edges on the side as the Pineapple Sunday. I think that is a more unique stylistic element than the pure oval pineapple shape. But it was just my opinion, i.e. two cents. You are obviously entitled to yours in the other direction. I didn't say KoAloha could sue him for copyright infringement, I just said if I was the Okamis I wouldn't be pleased. Those designs are unique, and deep to the heart of Alvin Okami, some of them appeared to him in a dream, and to see someone else rip it off would bug me if I were them. If you were them, you wouldn't mind. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so ours is different. No biggie. We can agree to disagree.:)

Last edited:
I don't think it's too similar to the Pineapple Sunday. I definitely wouldn't confuse the two. But for a solid wood uke, the price is pretty reasonable. Plus slotted headstock and custom design.

Yikes...that design's shape is practically identical.
Naturally I like it being a Pineapple Sunday owner.
I think the fretboard having that pineapple carving looks really nice.
Clearly this person has some innovative thinking but the shape of the body is almost like a copy and paste.

That looks way too nice to go for $300.

I agree that on the surface and a REALLY quick look, it may look nice. I stopped at "like no other on the planet" and before I passed judgement on the quality, I passed judgment on how full of crap this guy is.

What really made me read more (sort of like the way you listen Howard Stern, just to hear what he's going to say), was the 2nd paragraph.

Solid Redwood? C'mon, nuff said. Whomever wins this bid (or even bidding) obviously hasn't even seen the Luthier's Lounge of Ukulele Underground. . .

I'd bid $20, maybe, just to take off the tuning machines, and maybe salvage the rosewood fretboard. Nah, I'd just as soon use the listing as entertaining reading on the internet.

-Aaron

Last edited:
I disagree Jude. The pineapple shape is a generic oval style (albeit with some tonal results), this ukulele contains the exact same scalloping edges on the side as the Pineapple Sunday. I think that is a more unique stylistic element than the pure oval pineapple shape. But it was just my opinion, i.e. two cents. You are obviously entitled to yours in the other direction. I didn't say KoAloha could sue him for copyright infringement, I just said if I was the Okamis I wouldn't be pleased. Those designs are unique, and deep to the heart of Alvin Okami, some of them appeared to him in a dream, and to see someone else rip it off would bug me if I were them. If you were them, you wouldn't mind. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so ours is different. No biggie. We can agree to disagree.:)

Yes the pineapple shape is generic but it wasn't always was it? At one time it was unique to Kamaka only. If the PS shape catches on perhaps sixty years from now every maker will have that body style in their stable and the uke world will be better for it.
But, the shape alone doesn't make a PS, it has to be a KoAloha to be a PS. Someday like the Harmony Airplane uke it may be seen as a novelty, interesting to collectors only. Time will tell. In the mean time let's enjoy what we've got and be thankful for them.

Jude

The design is very similar to a PS, but the builder claims that he was inspired by the design of an old antique mandolin. The slotted headstock and pineapple carving on the fretboard are nice touches. The fin . . .

Even though it is shaped like the production one, I would still consider it a piece of art, and a one of a kind Ukulele. It has many custom hand made original features to it, and I would love to own it as well. It looks like allot of thought and craftsmanship went into it, and wouldn't dream of belittling someone that can hand make an instrument like that. Sure, the shape overall shape isn't original, but he even claims it isn't in the posting by saying it was inspired by another instrument he ran across. Nothing wrong with the Uke, or the add. If I had the $400 to drop on it, I surely would have.

It looks like allot of thought and craftsmanship went into it, and wouldn't dream of belittling someone that can hand make an instrument like that.

I can appreciate the fact that someone went through the process to create the instrument. On one hand, he's honest about it not being "perfect", but the marketing crap that he throws out there is way beyond. My take is he realized he made a mistake and is now trying to dump it. And the biggest mistake is right there - solid redwood.

Just my $.02, and I hope no one from here bought it.

Well, the only thing I would question is the redwood, it being a soft wood. But I do understand where his mind was in making a unique hand made instrument using California wood and with a California theme. Of course, Ukuleles being a Hawaian instrument, but very popular in southern Cali with the "beach surfin crowd", Redwood is a Northern Cali thing, lol.. But, I do think his head was in the right place in the design of it, with the redwood exception. Maybe he is dumping it beause he found redwood isn't the best wood for an instrument. He did think about that by putting a carbon rod in the neck, as well as a strip of hardwood to hold it true. So he did at least think about that, and make provisions to remedy their weaknesses. Maybe he didn't give the sound much thought. Maybe it is a sound that some might even like. It is unique, and again, I would love to own it, just for that, and the different sound even if not traditional. The marketing may also be over the top some, because maybe he is proud of what he created? Dunno, but when I build something unique, and know the craftsmanship is good, I might tend to brag some too, even if others don't see what I do. And of course they won't, because it wasn't their hands that built it. It is an accomplishment, and worthy to own IMHO. I always look past the hype anyone puts in any add for anything they are trying to sell. That is salesmanship, and I just look past that part, and look at the item and let it speak for itself, no matter what it is.. Just sayin..

Top Bottom