Good/ popular ukulele songs?

christenajenifer

Reaction score
I just got a ukulele and i was wondering what songs there are out there that are played on ukulele? In other words what are the best ukulele songs? I've been picking it up pretty easily, but I'm not an expert, so no super hard songs please :)

oh yeah, I already know "somewhere over the rainbow"

Thanks!

Learn Radiohead's "Creep" - great uke song! Here is a link to a tutorial video:

Creep on Ukulele

I would recommend going to Amazon.com MP3 download section and typing in "ukulele". It will pull up a ton of material that is available to learn, you can hear a preview of each song, and purchase and download instantly anything that you want to put in your collection. If you want to learn to play an instrument or style of music, you have to get that sound in your ears...it's the only way to become familiar with it. Once you find a song you want to learn to play and have the audio for it you can search out the chords online if you need to. Just my 2 cents.

Anything you can play on guitar works on the uke, albeit sometimes with some tweaking to accommodate the lack of the extra two strings. I play a lot of Beatles, Dylan, Cohen, Donovan, and other pop/folk/blues stuff that I used to play on guitar. I also play a lot of vintage music from the 1920s-40s because it's not only great music and fun to play, a lot of the songsheets were chorded for the uke so I can pick them up and start playing easily.

There are many places to find songs that are easy to play and sound good on the ukulele. Here in UU, there is:
1)Comprehensive Aldrine Guerrero Ukulele Lesson List
2) Clickable List of Tabs and Chords (found in the Ukulele Tabs and Chords Forum)
3) Be sure to check out Uke Minutes also

Oscar Schmidt OU6-LCE Tenor
Oscar Schmidt OU4 Tenor

I think it is a law you must learn to play "Ain't She Sweet". :)

Play songs that sound good to you; lots of tabs are available for any song . TUSC has good pdf song books; links are here on UU to this and many more. Check in the Tabs and Cords UU forum.

...don't forget about "Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue" - it's pretty easy to learn and has more than just 3 chords in the song (but all the chords in the song are pretty easy) - it was the first song I learned on the uke!

http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/tabs/030104.html

One of my favorites that works really well on the uke is "Pocketful of Rainbows" by Elvis.

And of course, you can't forget "Tonight You Belong to Me".

Jason

I have always had a similar problem with more traditional Hawaiin songs. There are plenty of tabs and chords out there, but I haven't a clue what the songs sound like.

In response to your quest for songs, eventually, you'll have to learn a version of Jake's Guitar Gently Weeps. It is to the ukulele what Stairway to Heaven is to the guitar.

John

Tiny Bubbles

Top Bottom