New Uke Strings

Pilothawk

Reaction score
My Oscar Schmidt pineapple just arrived this morning. It, from all appearances, promises to be just what I wanted. An inexpensive uke that I can carry around and not worry about should something terrible happen to it. It in no way compares to my Kala trimline tenor or my KPK concert. Still, I wanted a beater, and that is what this will be. No comment on how it sounds until restrung.

It came with GHS strings. My question is: Does anyone actually like these strings. I have noted that they are standard on cheap ukes. It must be a money issue, but it sure seems to me that if you are selling an instrument good strings are far more likely to make the new owner pleased with his purchase. And the cost delta cannot be that great when you are buy on a large scale.

Oh well, rant over. Out to search for new strings. Anyone know where I can find some in Dallas.

i actually think most oscar schmidt, as well as most other brands now come with aquila strings. my tenor had ghs strings when i bought it and i had them on for about a year and a half. because i picked the best sounding uke with those strings, i was actually pleased with the sound. however, now that i've switched to d'addario pro artes, i'll never go back to the ghs. at times, i wish i still had a wound c string, but i really don't miss it too much ;)

Believe it or not, there are a few who do like GHS strings. It's all about what sounds and feels good to the individual playa. As far as buying strings, I think you're best off on the net through MGM, Uke World, Elderly, Just Strings, Strings by Mail, etc. :2cents:

I do like the soft feel of the all nylon strings, but as for volume...there isn't much. I do not normally use a pick, but with these strings I almost have to in order to get the uke to sound alive. Without the pick, I have to really pound the strings. The local music store has Martin Fluros in concert size, but I am thinking I might check out the Pro Artes.

Just a quick update. I couldn't wait for the mail, so I went to the Guitar Center for the Martins. They certainly sound far better than the GHS. The C string is actually audible now. Nice change, huh? This uke does have a voice. This is just the little pineapple OU-2 from Schmidt, but it sounds good enough to plunk away on. For a cheapie, it is a serviceable starter without doubt.

before reading your whole post, i was going to ask what uke you had haha. you definitely didn't have the wound c. my tenor with the ghs wound c was LOUD. the c was definitely the most prominant string. martins are nice. i have the concert strings on my soprano and really like the sound.

i actually think most oscar schmidt, as well as most other brands now come with aquila strings. my tenor had ghs strings when i bought it and i had them on for about a year and a half. because i picked the best sounding uke with those strings, i was actually pleased with the sound. however, now that i've switched to d'addario pro artes, i'll never go back to the ghs. at times, i wish i still had a wound c string, but i really don't miss it too much ;)

I switched out the GHS (wound C's) for Pro Artes on my Kala KA-T and really glad I did.

Top Bottom