Downloading videos to my hard drive?

lozarkman

Reaction score
I am sure this is a dumb question for most of you, but being a newbie, is it possible to download utube vidoes on Middleton, ukulelemike, or others to my hard drive for further study and use without having to access their sites all the time. My server limits me to 200 mb downloads a day and videos eat it up pretty quick. Thanks Lozark

Hi lozarkman

YouTube does not like you to download a clip. They want you to access (and then, the advertisement will get them some $$$). I do feel I need to keep great clips on my computer so here is my work around - I use Macintosh

You can find a video capture software. It's similar to screen capture but it records what's being played on screen as a video file. I use "SnapZPro" for Mac, $69. If you search "video capture", you will find something for PC.

I play a YouTube video - I usually let it run once so the file is cached, and then start the video capture software and run the video again. Doing it second time reduces a chance ot interruption etc.

Save the file to your drive (choose a format like WMV or AVI).

Cheers
Chief

Last edited:
good info

Hi Melissa and chief: Thank you for the quick response. I use a PC, so Melissa your suggestions might be the more helpful. I downloaded the keepvid program, and apparently it is a buy program before you can activate it. Which is ok if I can click on the keepvid icon and download the video. Will purchasing the program then let me use that particular feature for downloading the various videos?

I am always amazed at the far reaching levels of expertise I find on the site. I have played the piano for many years and just recently, while visiting my kids in Hawaii, purchased a baritone uke and am really enjoying it. I read music well and know chords, so felt baritone might suit me better for the time being, since the tuning is the same as first four strings of guitar. Though I am now seriously considering a Tenor in GCEA tuning as well. Addictive little buggers aren't they?

again thanks from the lake of the ozarks in Missouri, hence lozarkman.

If you use the Firefox browser there is a free plug-in called UnPlug
that will grab any video from any page.Basically if you can watch it
you can get it.Its never let me down yet,for the same reasons as you
basically;I am limited to the download ammount,and saving a video
to my pc allows me to watch it when I want,and learn from the
instructional ones!

I've found a couple things that help me. First, I downloaded a free app called Soundflower (download link located under "Other Products." This allows you to route the audio output into another application. Not sure if it comes with other OS's, but Snow Leopard comes with Quicktime 10.0 which has a handy screen capture utility. It basically records everything that is happening on your computer screen. So, using Soundflower, I route the audio output into the audio input for Quicktime and I can record movies with sound from any website.

I've also used the Download Helper add-on for Firefox which works great for YouTube videos (but doesn't work for some other websites).

I want to thank all of you for your input and help. I have finally ended up using the firefox plug in downloader with video conversion. thank you uke5417 for that particular suggestion. Seems to work really well and is reasonably user friendly. I have downloaded and converted 3 videos this morning and seems to function quite well. I am sure your other suggestions work as well, but for the moment this seems to get me started in storing videos for study/enjoyment. A wonderful uke family we have here on underground. Maybe someday I can offer something worthwhile. happy strumming and plucking. Lozark

I've no idea why , but RealPlayer down loader asks me automatically if I want to DL the YT clip. Just point my curser to the top right hand side of the video frame and hey presto, it asks me. Maybe I'm just lucky - but I'd guess most folks can get this?

S

Top Bottom