Brining your uke to the beach

UkeDan77

Reaction score
Now that summer is approaching, I will be finding myself spending weekend afternoon's at the beach. My question is, how many of you bring your ukes to the beach with you? I'd be scared that the sand and possibly the water would ruin it. However, I think it would be a blast to lay on the sand while playing my uke.

Too much money in mine. I'm going to get a Makala Dolphin so I can do such things...

I life about 100 miles from the coast, but I bring my Flea to the park near my house almost every day, & 1st chance I get you can bet it's going to the beach w/ me.

I had no problems with sand on my Flea. Although I did have it sitting in my beach chair bag when I wasn't using it. I think it would depend on the relative value as to whether I would take any instrument to the beach, I wouldn't take anything I'd be afraid of messing up.

When we play out, it is usually at beach bars. For that we always take our good instruments.

But if we're just hanging at the beach we take our beachelele, a cigar box uke with a flask and shot glasses stored inside. It even has a gig bag made out of a beach towel. Plus, I take my Risa soprano stick (and a pocket amp) with me everywhere. :)

It's the Fluke for the beach.

We do it all the time (S Carolina). Keep it out of the direct sun when you aren't playing it. Yes you will get sand in it. Also wipe off the tuners with a damp cloth as they will rust after awhile. You'll get sea mist all over it. Just wipe it down and enjoy. You bought it to play and the beach is the perfect place.

This will be my first year taking the uke to the beach. For that purpose I got a Makala Concert $55. No worries!

I fell in love with the ukulele on the beach late last summer while my husband was playing (and getting a sunburn that outlined a 'uke shape on his torso).
Now I've ukes of my own, you betcha I will! Looking forward to it.

I fell in love with the ukulele on the beach late last summer while my husband was playing (and getting a sunburn that outlined a 'uke shape on his torso).

That is the best tanline/burnline shape to have! (I had to laugh at that.)

On one hand, if I had a K-brand uke, I'd be kind of terrified to take it out of the case. On the other, I'd be too embarrassed to play an ultra-cheap uke in public. The one I have is a nice compromise to my neurotic tendencies, and as an added bonus, it's small enough for travel anywhere!

I'd most definitely take mine a-beachin' with me (especially since I wouldn't really have anything else to do). Heck, Craig Robertson's done it at least once, so I think it'd be just fine, provided you make sure your uke is far enough from the tide that an unsuspecting wave won't carry it off ;).

It's a ukulele....hello....they come from Hawaii!
I live across the street from the beach.....all my ukes have been at the beach. I have many ukes. Nothing worth more than $300. but they're ukuleles and are meant to be played at the beach. Would I feel different if I owned a K brand? I doubt it. Aldrine brought his custom to my beach and played it.
I'm currently renting a pair of steel drums that would retail $2000. Will I play them on the beach? I will be very careful, but yes I will. Nothing more sweet sounding than a ukulele and steel drums played while watching the sun set.

We were on a boat with waves splashing on my UAE20 on the China Sea at
100 Islands in the Philippines. I dried it off with a towel when we reached
The shore. It plays great to this day!

Playing an Ovation Applause UAE20 acoustic/electric soprano at Bolsa Chica
State beach along with Dustin (tsud123) and Ryan (Ukulele Underground
Forum members) in Huntington Beach, California:

2802115577_61974b815c.jpg

2802955036_8a44d0802f.jpg

BakitWhy11.jpg

BakitWhy17.jpg

At Mission San Luis Rey in Oceanside, California. Notice there are two Vox DA5
Battery powered amps hanging from the top of the EZ-Up “Tiki Hut” behind me.
Each has a ukulele and a microphone plugged into it. If you look at the photo
More closely, you’ll see a microphone boom stand to the right and the left of me:

Ukulele582.JPG

Here’s a backyard pool party we played at in Oceanside, California:

DebGary16.jpg

DebGary17.jpg

Elementary school teachers dancing’ to The Hukilau at that party:

DebGary20.jpg

See, everybody else is a whole lot less neurotic than I am (and even I'd have to agree!) :p.

So bring it 'round and enjoy! No worries.

Here's my two daughters (and their little friend) playing ukes at San Onofre Beach, CA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQNQ3PKKpJU

Too cute salukulady. I wish that any of my three boys showed an interest in the uke. Maybe my youngest eventually will, he's 10. Can't wait for beach weather here on Cape Cod. Still probably a month and a half away though.

Top Bottom