PDA

View Full Version : Brining your uke to the beach

UkeDan77
04-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Now that summer is approaching, I will be finding myself spending weekend afternoon's at the beach. My question is, how many of you bring your ukes to the beach with you? I'd be scared that the sand and possibly the water would ruin it. However, I think it would be a blast to lay on the sand while playing my uke.

Tigeralum2001
04-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Too much money in mine. I'm going to get a Makala Dolphin so I can do such things...

jungleturtle
04-24-2010, 11:26 AM
I life about 100 miles from the coast, but I bring my Flea to the park near my house almost every day, & 1st chance I get you can bet it's going to the beach w/ me.

KevinV
04-24-2010, 11:36 AM
I had no problems with sand on my Flea. Although I did have it sitting in my beach chair bag when I wasn't using it. I think it would depend on the relative value as to whether I would take any instrument to the beach, I wouldn't take anything I'd be afraid of messing up.

dkcrown
04-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Fleas were made for the beach. Ever hear of sand fleas?

SailQwest
04-24-2010, 11:56 AM
When we play out, it is usually at beach bars. For that we always take our good instruments.

But if we're just hanging at the beach we take our beachelele, a cigar box uke with a flask and shot glasses stored inside. It even has a gig bag made out of a beach towel. Plus, I take my Risa soprano stick (and a pocket amp) with me everywhere. :)

darkwater
04-24-2010, 12:14 PM
It's the Fluke for the beach.

Ukuleleblues
04-24-2010, 12:23 PM
We do it all the time (S Carolina). Keep it out of the direct sun when you aren't playing it. Yes you will get sand in it. Also wipe off the tuners with a damp cloth as they will rust after awhile. You'll get sea mist all over it. Just wipe it down and enjoy. You bought it to play and the beach is the perfect place.

molokinirum
04-24-2010, 12:43 PM
This will be my first year taking the uke to the beach. For that purpose I got a Makala Concert $55. No worries!

Sambient
04-24-2010, 02:28 PM
I fell in love with the ukulele on the beach late last summer while my husband was playing (and getting a sunburn that outlined a 'uke shape on his torso).
Now I've ukes of my own, you betcha I will! Looking forward to it.

StereoJoker
04-24-2010, 03:45 PM
I fell in love with the ukulele on the beach late last summer while my husband was playing (and getting a sunburn that outlined a 'uke shape on his torso).

That is the best tanline/burnline shape to have! (I had to laugh at that.)

On one hand, if I had a K-brand uke, I'd be kind of terrified to take it out of the case. On the other, I'd be too embarrassed to play an ultra-cheap uke in public. The one I have is a nice compromise to my neurotic tendencies, and as an added bonus, it's small enough for travel anywhere!

I'd most definitely take mine a-beachin' with me (especially since I wouldn't really have anything else to do). Heck, Craig Robertson's done it at least once, so I think it'd be just fine, provided you make sure your uke is far enough from the tide that an unsuspecting wave won't carry it off ;).

salukulady
04-24-2010, 04:04 PM
It's a ukulele....hello....they come from Hawaii!
I live across the street from the beach.....all my ukes have been at the beach. I have many ukes. Nothing worth more than $300. but they're ukuleles and are meant to be played at the beach. Would I feel different if I owned a K brand? I doubt it. Aldrine brought his custom to my beach and played it.
I'm currently renting a pair of steel drums that would retail $2000. Will I play them on the beach? I will be very careful, but yes I will. Nothing more sweet sounding than a ukulele and steel drums played while watching the sun set.

ricdoug
04-24-2010, 05:45 PM
We were on a boat with waves splashing on my UAE20 on the China Sea at
100 Islands in the Philippines. I dried it off with a towel when we reached
The shore. It plays great to this day!

Playing an Ovation Applause UAE20 acoustic/electric soprano at Bolsa Chica
State beach along with Dustin (tsud123) and Ryan (Ukulele Underground
Forum members) in Huntington Beach, California:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3261/2802115577_61974b815c.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3104/2802955036_8a44d0802f.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/BakitWhy11.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/BakitWhy17.jpg

ricdoug
04-24-2010, 05:46 PM
At Mission San Luis Rey in Oceanside, California. Notice there are two Vox DA5
Battery powered amps hanging from the top of the EZ-Up “Tiki Hut” behind me.
Each has a ukulele and a microphone plugged into it. If you look at the photo
More closely, you’ll see a microphone boom stand to the right and the left of me:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Ukulele582.JPG

Here’s a backyard pool party we played at in Oceanside, California:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/DebGary16.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/DebGary17.jpg

Elementary school teachers dancing’ to The Hukilau at that party:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/DebGary20.jpg

ricdoug
04-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Busking at the Carlsbad Village Farmers Market in Carlsbad, California:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/RolandAmp3.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/RolandAmp6.JPG

Busking solo at the same Farmers Market:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/RolandAmp2.JPG

Cardiff by the Sea, California:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/RolandAmp10.JPG

ricdoug
04-24-2010, 05:47 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/RolandAmp11.JPG

We play a lot of gigs at local beaches and outdoors, with many expensive
Instruments. My philosophy is that they were made to be played…

ANYWHERE!!! Ric

StereoJoker
04-24-2010, 08:17 PM
See, everybody else is a whole lot less neurotic than I am (and even I'd have to agree!) :p.

So bring it 'round and enjoy! No worries.

salukulady
04-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Here's my two daughters (and their little friend) playing ukes at San Onofre Beach, CA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQNQ3PKKpJU

dkcrown
04-25-2010, 02:19 AM
Here's my two daughters (and their little friend) playing ukes at San Onofre Beach, CA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQNQ3PKKpJU

Too cute salukulady. I wish that any of my three boys showed an interest in the uke. Maybe my youngest eventually will, he's 10. Can't wait for beach weather here on Cape Cod. Still probably a month and a half away though.

kendra
04-25-2010, 05:20 AM
I have what I call my "travel uke" which is just an inexpensive uke ($50 range) that I've taken all over - including the beach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLhVAPV562Y

Walking the beach strumming your uke is awesome! Go for it!

KevinV
04-25-2010, 05:38 AM
Some great beach action pics and video here...keep em coming!

SailingUke
04-25-2010, 01:12 PM
I take my Fluke all the time. I would not take a ukulele or any instrument to the beach that I could not replace.
While out in public folks may ask to play your uke so you should be prepared for that as well.
Good luck and enjoy.

Sambient
05-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Really don't know which I'll be bringing to the beach in a few weeks. Part of me wants to bring the Koa Pili Koko. Let it get some proper salt-air moisture. The two hour ride to my Mom's in my hot car is my bigger worry for a solid wood uke.

Thumper
05-10-2010, 08:12 AM
I played my Flea in the Atlantic ocean on Saturday. Sounded great. We were boating in shallow waters, and dropped anchor and hopped off the boat and waded around, playing ukes and having a great old time.

Hell, I wouldn't own a uke I that couldn't take outdoors. That's half the fun!

Skitzic
05-10-2010, 09:03 AM
I have a Fluke I travel with most of the time now. Before the Fluke, it was a Dolphin. If I was going to a picnic now, I may take the watermelon.

Ukes are meant to be played, not to stay locked in their cases. If you are a bit careful you'll be fine.

And I would not let a stranger play my uke. Go play one at guitar center, I don't need someone running off with mine. Even if it is only a $50 dolphin.

Keef
05-10-2010, 09:21 AM
this weekend I went to the beach and I was thinking it would be great to play my uke here once I learn to play then it occured to me that maybe some people wont want to hear it. so I was thinking that if I did try and play on the beach I would find a spot out of ear shot of the people currently there then as more people came they could choose to sit near me or not
just something I was thinking about
what do you think?

Sambient
05-10-2010, 10:30 AM
this weekend I went to the beach and I was thinking it would be great to play my uke here once I learn to play then it occured to me that maybe some people wont want to hear it. so I was thinking that if I did try and play on the beach I would find a spot out of ear shot of the people currently there then as more people came they could choose to sit near me or not
what do you think?

I think you're more considerate than I. But then again, I know I'm going to go to a less populated beach so I won't feel too self-conscious.

haole
05-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Imagine how many Kamakas have been strummed on beaches for the last 90-something years. No instrument says "beach" more than the ukulele. If I had a Moore Bettah it would probably get some sand in it eventually. ;) But it's good to have a cheap uke for the beach, with as much plastic as possible. Flukes, Fleas, Makala dolphins, and vintage all-plastic ukes are great. Like Ukuleleblues said, just wipe the tuners down afterwards so they don't rust (or silicone-grease all the metal bits). And keep it in the case when you're not playing it so it doesn't bake in the sun. Otherwise, have fun with it!

countrybumpkin
05-10-2010, 08:58 PM
We do it all the time (S Carolina). Keep it out of the direct sun when you aren't playing it. Yes you will get sand in it. Also wipe off the tuners with a damp cloth as they will rust after awhile. You'll get sea mist all over it. Just wipe it down and enjoy. You bought it to play and the beach is the perfect place.

I agree that ukes were made to be played.

GVlog
05-11-2010, 05:25 AM
Imagine how many Kamakas have been strummed on beaches for the last 90-something years.
Can someone enlighten me if Kamakas were relatively cheapER in the past?

SailingUke
05-11-2010, 07:26 AM
what do you think?

I make a trip or two every year to Catalina Island. One of my favorite things to do is find a palm tree and shade and play ukulele.
I almost always draw a crowd and no one ever seems to object. An acoustic ukulele is plesant and should not offend anyone.
After a beach session it important to wipe the ukulele thoroughly. I like to use a soft damp cloth very lightly to collect salt and sand being careful not to scratch the instrument.
I usually carry some guitar polish in my case and apply a nice coat before my next beach session.

Wagster
05-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Taking your Ukulele to the beach is EASY!

Bringing the beach to your ukulele. Well, there's something that would impress me. That would be some useful information.

(DeG does it all the time but he's not telling)

dianalele
05-11-2010, 05:23 PM
well, the uke goes with me everywhere.. so if I go to the beach, the uke comes with me!

Careful of bad tempered beach go-ers though. It happens here on Long Island and it even happened on Waikiki Beach in Hawaii that people were given me nasty death stares for playing a musical instrument near them.
or maybe they just didnt like my singing..

well anyway, people need to lighten up. don't leave your uke where angry people can sabotage. or where greedy people can steal!

haole
05-11-2010, 05:57 PM
well, the uke goes with me everywhere.. so if I go to the beach, the uke comes with me!

Careful of bad tempered beach go-ers though. It happens here on Long Island and it even happened on Waikiki Beach in Hawaii that people were given me nasty death stares for playing a musical instrument near them.
or maybe they just didnt like my singing..

well anyway, people need to lighten up. don't leave your uke where angry people can sabotage. or where greedy people can steal!

You probably sat next to Long Islanders on Waikiki Beach. I think we need a UU beach meetup on LI sometime soon. Strength in numbers!

crowbardog
05-16-2010, 08:45 AM
You probably sat next to Long Islanders on Waikiki Beach.

Comedy.

It happens here on Long Island and it even happened on Waikiki Beach in Hawaii that people were given me nasty death stares for playing a musical instrument near them.

Some people are simply special.

penster
05-16-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm trying to imagine myself playing a ukulele on a crowded British beach. Nope, can't imagine ever doing that.
Penster

arw
05-16-2010, 09:48 AM
We go for a week with extended family every summer, and my daughter, nieces and nephews are constantly borrowing my uke so this year I've purchased four Mahalos (red,pink, green and yellow). I changed out the strings with Aquila strings and bought a small electronic tuner for each one. They seem durable and playable. We'll see.

salukulady
05-16-2010, 10:12 AM
We go for a week with extended family every summer, and my daughter, nieces and nephews are constantly borrowing my uke so this year I've purchased four Mahalos (red,pink, green and yellow). I changed out the strings with Aquila strings and bought a small electronic tuner for each one. They seem durable and playable. We'll see.Perfect, that's the way to spread the love, teach 'em young.

mishamiso
05-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Not too many beaches here in Indiana, but I like to take my uke when I go creek hiking/wading, or paddling on a lake, etc. Being clumsy on slippery, what I really need is a water-proof uke with a tolerable sound...

JIKvig
05-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Look around ebay for a cheap uke, paint it really cool and bring it along!

ukecantdothat
05-16-2010, 03:14 PM
It's an easy bike ride for me to get to the beach here, and one of the things that attracted me to the uke is the portability. Sometimes I stick a soprano into a backpack and off I go. I do find that when the surf is active, it pretty much drowns me out no matter how hard I play! It is fun to find guitar players or a drum circle to sit in with. Last summer there was about a dozen or so Latino percussionists pounding the most insane beats. They were happy to have me pull out my uke and jump in. We played Oye Como Va and Chan Chan and some improvised stuff and it was a blast. Wish I had an amp to plug into, though. I played so hard I ended up ripping the cuticles on my strum hand, but that's the sort of experience that stays with you and ultimately has an influence on your playing.

aspieman456
05-17-2010, 04:05 AM
I playing it the beach twice years ago and I can play it again. Why not?

thisnthat
05-17-2010, 06:22 AM
I'm trying to imagine myself playing a ukulele on a crowded British beach. Nope, can't imagine ever doing that.
Penster
My thoughts exactly. I live a stone's throw from the beach and I don't think some of the locals would appreciate it. Especially when it's term time and there are about three families sitting on the beach. Maybe in Cornwall or Brighton where the atmosphere is better for that sort of thing but not here.

salukulady
05-17-2010, 06:57 AM
What's with beaches in England? That just seems odd to me. I play at the beach here all the time. Have played at beaches up and down the California coast. Have never offended or pissed off anyone. I mean a uke is a relatively quiet instrument. How crowded are your beaches?

crazyforukes
05-17-2010, 07:04 AM
I usually visit the nude beaches but when I bring my uke I use a Uke Thong

penster
05-17-2010, 07:19 AM
What's with beaches in England?
I like the comment by thisnthat that it might be acceptable in Cornwall or Brighton "where the atmosphere is better for that sort of thing" but not elsewhere. It's not a beach thing, it's a Brit thing. I can't think of a way to explain it :0)
Penster

thisnthat
05-17-2010, 07:58 AM
What's with beaches in England? That just seems odd to me. I play at the beach here all the time. Have played at beaches up and down the California coast. Have never offended or pissed off anyone. I mean a uke is a relatively quiet instrument. How crowded are your beaches?
Where I am it's very busy with day trippers on the bank holiday weekends and during the summer months of course but pretty quiet the rest of the year.

I think it's partly a personal space thing. Some people get narked if you bring a radio to the beach because they feel like you are invading their personal space. (it personally doesn't bother me unless it's obnoxiously loud.)
But it definitely depends on where you are in the country.

The other reason for me personally is the type of people that live in this area but that's probably more of a local issue rather than a UK wide one. (or me being a paranoid but I'm still not chancing it.)

Sambient
05-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Me 'n' uke, we went to the beach today. Pretty much no one around. I could see dolphins swimming along the coast. Does it get much better?

Pyrateknight
06-03-2010, 03:14 AM
Part of my beach attire is a ukulele. Unless its a beater uke like mine don't set in directly in the sand or on a towel in the sand. Beach chair or cooler is a better place.

Coconut Willie
06-03-2010, 04:22 AM
A uke at the beach is like peanut butter and chocolate!!!!
I take mine all the time!!

dannyman
06-03-2010, 05:57 AM
just be careful.
i take my cheaper uke to the beach with me all the time.
keep the case out of the direct sand (i always bring an "ukulele towel" with me to rest my case on).
try not to be TOO near the water, but other then that just have fun!
the beach is a great place for inspiration!

choss
06-03-2010, 04:49 PM
when in doubt, smash the piggy bank, and buy this.

http://www.blackbirdguitar.com/pressreleases/blackbird_ukulele.html

it's the ultimate beach uke, and who knows you may be able to swim with it!

perep
06-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Take my uke WHEREVER I go, beach no problem. Keep it out of the sun & sand. Strum whenever you can, life is short-enjoy

Sambient
08-01-2010, 04:43 PM
This weekend it was the Fluke's turn.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/Sambient/0731101215.jpg

Keef
08-01-2010, 05:07 PM
What fluke?

redBee
08-01-2010, 05:24 PM
when in doubt, smash the piggy bank, and buy this.

http://www.blackbirdguitar.com/pressreleases/blackbird_ukulele.html

it's the ultimate beach uke, and who knows you may be able to swim with it!

It maybe very durable, but would you take a 1000 dollars ukulele to the beach?

cletus
08-01-2010, 05:51 PM
but would you take a 1000 dollars ukulele to the beach?

Yes. The whole "lifes too short to not take it and enjoy it"point of view definitely works for me at this point.

cletus
08-01-2010, 05:53 PM
What fluke?

Kind sir, GIGAPUS respect please.

mm stan
08-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Cool Pic Sam,
You have that Hawaiian theme going at the Jersey shores....

redBee
08-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Yes. The whole "lifes too short to not take it and enjoy it"point of view definitely works for me at this point.

That's good for you. I wish I could have that kind of attitude too. Probably I would be worried all the time about someone trying to steal it or become some dog's chew toy.

Sambient
08-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Cool Pic Sam,
You have that Hawaiian theme going at the Jersey shores....

Mahalo! Delaware shore, actually. Near where my mom lives.