Eleuke and UAS (i got it bad now!!)

arashi_nero

Reaction score
So, I went to a local music store on my way home from work last night to see if they had any new info about the gig bag I bought for my soprano over a month ago (they gave me the wrong size initially and none of the music stores do refunds--just exchanges). I guess they're on massive back order from Lanikai.

Well, while I was waiting for them to give me that news, I noticed the store had two Eleukes hanging in the back of all the ukes. One was the blue one and the other was a pineapple. I decided to give the blue one a try just to say I've played one. Wow!! UAS has hit me hard!!! I want this uke sooooooo bad, it hurts. I played it a little and then asked if I could hook it up to an amp in their electric guitar room. They let me in and I played for my two kids for about an hour (i even let the son play a little--shhhhh!). I was surprised at how nice it sounded hooked up to the amp. It does, however, pick up my fingers running up and down the strings, but I think with practicing, I could get that to reduce. I also noticed that the tension was way high. Is that normal for Eleukes?

Anyway, I went home and did some research on the Eleukes (trying to find a price to see if what the music store gave me was about normal) and was impressed with some info I found. I noticed at the base of the uke, it had 3 jacks: the amp jack and 2 headphone size jacks. It's cool that you can hook up headphones straight to it. In the gig bag that comes with the uke, it has a male/male chord so you can hook up your mp3 player right up to the uke and play with your songs. I'm sure many of you already know this, but man, I was blown away!! One weird thing, tho, I counted 20 frets, but the site says the concert/tenor has only 19. Still didn't find anywhere with prices, tho.

Is $179 too much for this uke? Does anyone know if the fret markers are abalone? I'm soooooooo tempted to buy this sucker! :drool: (damn UAS!!)

Attachments

• 0423001726..jpg
    0423001726..jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 0423001727..jpg
    0423001727..jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 0423001727b..jpg
    0423001727b..jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 0423001727a..jpg
    0423001727a..jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 32
Ahem... check the signature ;)!

I have that exact model! I think. It depends on the size.

Not to shamelessly promote myself... but... I am 2 Uke sales away from the deal I have with my husband that when I sold off the initial stock of Eleukes I can get a new Uke!
The Sopraninos should be in soon and one is calling my name!
Help a sister out :)

www.mimsukes.com
www.mimsukes.com/eleuke

Tell me which you like and we can make a deal :)!

Last edited:
I'm absolutely hooked on Electric ukuleles in general.
The Eleukes are beautiful instruments, especially after the company did a big improvement process in their instruments.

As for hearing your fingers go along the strings, it is probably because the Eleuke pickups are rather sensitive at high gain. More sensitive (and therefore more responsive) than most other acoustic-electrics I've had experience with. I consider it a good thing, because it allows for high levels of output.
The finger noise never really bothered me much, and you do improve on things as time goes by.

The tension of the strings should be the same as any other ukulele. Perhaps the strings were brand new. Aquilas are a bit on the high-tension side (especially tenor) anyway.

Is it worth having one?
If you ask my opinion, absolutely.
I can't have enough electric ukes!

Last edited:
That's great when that happens: connecting. A lot different than an "idea of things" or even a blind buy, a few sound samples situation or an imagined status/tradition perspective...

Enjoy!!!

I have a mahogany soprano Eleuke. I love it! I have Worth Brown medium tension low-G strings on mine, so there is no sound of fingers sliding on the strings (no wound strings). Here is a video I did with mine--very simple strumming, but I do like its sound very much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMYZe94bKSU

I'd say that's definitely a reasonable price for it. You may have to do (or have someone else do) some set-up work on it so that the strings feel like you want them to be.

CountryMouse

The same thing happened to be about a week ago. I went to a music store and picked up an electric uke and was blown away by how awesome playing one was. It it probably the feeling people get when transitioning to an electric guitar.

I want one. That's all I can say.

(YO Mim...hook a borther up!!)

Last edited:
It does, however, pick up my fingers running up and down the strings, but I think with practicing, I could get that to reduce. I also noticed that the tension was way high. Is that normal for Eleukes?

same thing happened with mine and i couldn't take it anymore. when i played in an amp or just with the headphones, i could hear my fingers running across the fretboard and that was really the only negative thing about the uke. this was a year ago so i am going to try one of the newer models one of these days and see if its still a problem.

I want one. That's all I can say.

(YO Mim...hook a borther up!!)

Hey! If ya want one I will give ya a good price! ;)
I am a sucker for quoting a good price for my fellow UUers.
You have to backorder some of the newer models, but you should be hearing a lot about the Koa when that comes in.

But really, I just get excited about being part of other people getting a new uke!
There was a car commercial that ran in Virginia and the slogan was:
"I would give 'em away, but my wife wont let me!"
That is me!
I would give them away, but I do have 7 kids to feed. They would probably let me though because they are awesome like that. And... oh yeah... I'm the mom, I do what I want!
The Uke income gives me a little mad money (I don't sell that many... so I call it my 'fun money') and I use it to rationalize a trip to Chuck E. Cheese now and then :)
Oh and a Ohana Sopranino rationization when it comes in stock... gotta remember the Sopranino! I am selling 2 ukes away from allowing myself to get one!
Eleukes anyone?

Last edited:
There was a car commercial that ran in Virginia and the slogan was:
"I would give 'em away, but my wife wont let me!"
That is me!

CHARLIE FALK AUTO MALL!!!

I grew up in Va Beach. He used to ALWAYS say that haha. wow I havent thought about that in years...

Last edited:
CHARLIE FALK AUTO MALL!!!

I grew up in Va Beach. He used to ALWAYS say that haha. wow I havent thought about that in years...

YEP! I am from Williamsburg, so we were in the middle of Richmond and Norfolk so we got the news and ads from both sides!!!

I love that slogan! He probably does not mean it... but I do! I would if I could! One day when I become the most famous ice cream and snowball spot in Charlotte I can spread the Uke love more with free Ukuleles ;)!

Right now I have a Makala that I let customers play missing because I let a customer borrow it! If I am not careful I will have no more left! Ha!
My grandma used to own a condo right on the beach, 2 block from where 64 ends. Boy do I miss it.

Ooops... we are not talking about Ukes!

ELEUKES ROCK!
Ok... there... back on subject ;)

Here's a guy giving away the same model in a contest ending April 30, 2010. You still have time to enter!!!

http://ukeeku.com/

yeah, i'm going to have to get me an eleuke. i really like the idea of playing an instrument that doesn't play out without being plugged in and i can hook up headphones without buying any unnecessary gadgets (my uncle plays his electric guitars with a "headphone" amp plugged in). working on something with Mim right now, just waiting for pics ;)

I am waiting for July to be able to test out an Eleuke. We're taking a trip to see the future in-laws and there is a dealer not too far away from them. I'm excited!

Thanks for starting this thread. I hope soon you will unite yourself with an Eleuke. One question that you had that has not been answered, the fret markers are abalone.

thanks for answering that. i got the pics of the uke i'm planning to buy yesterday and it is stunning! just have to talk the wife into it ;)

looks like this is going to happen!! i'm soooooooooo excited. i haven't been this excited about buying something since i bought my tenor. mim, be expecting my call soon!!!

Congratulations!

I'm "patiently" awaiting Mim's call when the SL-Koa I pre-ordered is ready to ship...

~Michael

yeah, i saw that on her website. i guess that will be sometime next month. i'm glad someone on here has patience lol.

Top Bottom