New Pono Axe

Woodrow

Reaction score
Hola,

I'm a new poster.

I just bought a Pono PKT-1 and am really thrilled in that it plays most beautifully.

I recently joined a ukulele group in London, Ontario (SOUP; Southern Ontario Ukulele Players), and am having a blast.

It's good to be here, sharing vital ukulele information.

If anyone would be able to tell me what they know about my new ukulele it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Woodrow

Hey Woodrow,
I've got a PKT-1-E. It would be the same as yours with the addition of an under saddle pickup. I bought mine a couple of years ago and it was used when I got it so I don't know the vintage. My Pono PT mahogany tenor has a truss rod but the PKT doesn't. Does yours have a truss rod? I don't think Pono makes koa ukes anymore so you've got a real find. I've found that mine likes D'addario J-71 strings as well as the Koolau Gold strings.

Jude

Hey Jude,

Thanks very much for the response. The Pono came with a couple of sets of extra strings; Kala Red Low G, and Hilo Low G. I may give one of them a whirl. I am planning to call the person that I purchased from in that I forgot to ask when the Ko'olau Gold strings were put on the ukulele. I will look for a set of D'addario J-71's as well.

Woodrow

PS...This is a great forum!

I agree with Uke Republic, my PKT-1 didn't have much volume until I put Worth Clears on it, it totally made that uke sing, but by then I had ordered a Kanile'a and so had to sell it. I cried!

The Kanile'a is a nicer uke and I love it, but the Pono was very close with the clears. It came to me with Aquilas which sounded like crap and then I put Worth Browns on it which improved it a lot, but it needed the clears, which gave it super volume and sustain. It was a 2008 model with the truss rod. The new owner is a member here and got a steal. ;)

I bought my Pono PTO (solid mahogany tenor model, with no binding) second-hand and it came with Aquilas. I had been used to Aquilas on my previous ukulele - an Ashbury (laminate) tenor - and consider them great strings, as they made vast improvements to that uke. Should I be considering Worth Clears as a possible upgrade? I am, by the way, far from unhappy with the Pono/Aquila combination, which sounds great to my ears. I play it occasionally in an 8-piece folk band (I mostly play rhythm guitar) and I sometimes think it does not cut through as well as the Ashbury did. The Ashbury had to go, as the intonation was poor and you couldn't play it up the neck.

Top Bottom