Stupid Uke Tricks

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
Here are a few photos from our gig earlier tonight. I had to borrow my friend's ukulele because I popped a string on my only uke with a pick-up. This actually worked better with the tenor. I could use an actual strap rather than the sound hole hook strap I use on my P.O.S. acoustic/electric concert. It wasn't nearly as tricky to hold the uke when I switched to bass mid-song. I rarely play bass with a pick, but somehow it is easier to use a pick on this song when there is a ukulele in my way.

Attachments

• 100_2324..jpg
    100_2324..jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_2326..jpg
    100_2326..jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 100_2323..jpg
    100_2323..jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 106
The mic stand with the duct tape is one of two that our guitarist uses to record our gigs. There is another on the other side of the stage, and both just feed into a home tape deck. The band has been together for nearly 25 years and he has recorded all the gigs, I believe. Oddly, in the 6 years I've been with them, I have yet to hear any of these tapes. I hear ABOUT them, but he's never made any copies of the gig recordings I played on. We just do 2 shows a year, normally (Halloween and Earth Day).
Most of our equipment is sans duct tape!

I don't know if it would be considered a "stupid uke trick" but I have taught my Fluke to "sit" and "stay".

Jude

Chris, it's quite obvious to me that what you really need is a double-necked instrument....bass on the lower neck, uke on the upper. Come on....you know you want one....

Chris, it's quite obvious to me that what you really need is a double-necked instrument....bass on the lower neck, uke on the upper. Come on....you know you want one....

I know! I have been envisioning one since we started doing this song with the uke. I can totally see it in my head. It would be pretty much a standard bass, but in place of the bass-side horn, there would be a uke neck. The strap button would be on the back of the bass neck. It doesn't seem like it would take much to make one. And yes, I DO want one!

Last edited:

Oh, also, as I was about to start the song, an old friend of the band who hadn't seen us do this tune before came up and said "Jimmy Page!". I took that as a great compliment! So yes, a TRUE double neck would be way cool!

I know! I have been envisioning one since we started doing this song with the uke. I can totally see it in my head. It would be pretty much a standard bass, but in place of the bass-side horn, there would be a uke neck. The strap button would be on the back of the bass neck. It doesn't seem like it would take much to make one. And yes, I DO want one!

Or you can graft a Kala U-Bass onto a tenor with pickup and there you'll be.

Top Bottom