planxty irwin, my attempt at celtic ukulele

austin1

Reaction score
our philly uke meet-up got rained out, so this is what I did all day instead. Comments and critiques most definitely appreciated!

--Tina

I know how Planxty Irwin is supposed to sound. That was a very nice arrangement.

I particularly liked the way you created a 2-string drone to accompany the melody. Some Celtic tunes fail on the ukulele when rendered in fingerstyle because of the instrument's lack of sustain. The drone helped overcome that.

I'm impressed. :D Did you put it together yourself?

EDIT: I want tabs!

Last edited:
I like it! A lot!

I know how Planxty Irwin is supposed to sound. That was a very nice arrangement.

I particularly liked the way you created a 2-string drone to accompany the melody. Some Celtic tunes fail on the ukulele when rendered in fingerstyle because of the instrument's lack of sustain. The drone helped overcome that.

I'm impressed. :D Did you put it together yourself?

EDIT: I want tabs!

Me too, me too and me too

After revisiting some other arrangements of Planxty Irwin for the uke, I've come to the conclusion that I like yours the best (even better than Mark Nelson's). A public audio file of Mark's arrangement can be found here at the Mills Music Library.

Mark plays Irwin like he would play it on a guitar. It's elaborate but it requires more sustain. The only way he can achieve this is by adding a bit of reverb in the final recording.

Your arrangement IMHO works better for a pure acoustic rendition. It also has a nice kick to it. You've got something in this style of yours and I think you should develop it further with this and other arrangements.

Again, thumbs up and great job! :)

After revisiting some other arrangements of Planxty Irwin for the uke, I've come to the conclusion that I like yours the best (even better than Mark Nelson's). A public audio file of Mark's arrangement can be found here at the Mills Music Library.

Mark plays Irwin like he would play it on a guitar. It's elaborate but it requires more sustain. The only way he can achieve this is by adding a bit of reverb in the final recording.

Your arrangement IMHO works better for a pure acoustic rendition. It also has a nice kick to it. You've got something in this style of yours and I think you should develop it further with this and other arrangements.

Again, thumbs up and great job! :)

Wow, I am totally blown away. Thanks! :D

Top Bottom