Should UU purge their inactive members

bubba

Reaction score
This forum is huge but, is it efficient. Being the biggest isn't always being efficient.

I have spent several hours trying to communicate with players and I get no replies. I have sent 2 emails to the administrators and haven't gotten a reply. I notice some members have never posted anything which I guess is OK, but, if all they wish to do is read new posts, they can do that without being a member.

In my opinion I would rather belong to a small forum with a lot of activity within than a large dead one.

What do you think?

I live in Harrisburg, Pa.. This area is dead. There is one store that had one ukulele and they didn't know of anyone who plays one. I PMed one person and that dried up. There were others that I emailed, no reply. I am one frustrated guy. Is there help out there?

We're here to help. I noticed this is your first post. Perhaps you might try posting a little more to create relationships with other posters prior to PMing or emailing complete strangers. I have never had a problem contacting the administrators, they usually respond within a few days, unless they are out touring. Our mods are the best and I am sure they will address your concerns quickly now that you have posted.

We may have a huge membership but it's the active members (3400+ strong) who keep this place hopping 24/7. I know we do have a few ukers in PA but I don't think we maintain a comprehensive listing i.e. names, locations, etc. other than the members list. If you're looking for players in particular location, check out Flea Market Music Player's Directory . I'll have to agree with salukulady . . . do some posting to create a rapport with other members verse sending a PM or an email. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or require assistance and I'll help you as best I can or refer you to someone.

We're here to help. I noticed this is your first post. Perhaps you might try posting a little more to create relationships with other posters prior to PMing or emailing complete strangers. I have never had a problem contacting the administrators, they usually respond within a few days, unless they are out touring. Our mods are the best and I am sure they will address your concerns quickly now that you have posted.

Yes, there are many members here who respond to postings. You simply post a thread and you will get answers. Then you can simply make a friendship and it just grows. Give it a try!

All forums have large numbers of inactive members or members that don't post often. I was not online for about a year, so I would have been deleted, it wouldn't have ruined my life or anything but I wouldn't like it too much. Of course I could make another one no big deal. Sometimes people register to ask just one question, because that's all they need. Or they register so they can see certain forums that are restricted to guests. If you're looking for people in your area maybe post a thread about it, the best way to find active members in your area is to put up a thread! =)

I don't think old inactive members need to be purged, there are TONS that are active, just take a glance at the bottom of the main forum page At the moment it's There are currently 237 users online. 78 members and 159 guests, 78 actual members this early in the morning on a work day.... that's pretty good for any forum on any subject.

Some people don't like to post. Others post too much. Either way, it doesn't bother me. I can't see any reason to purge members who don't post. I have met several members at regional get-togethers who never post for one reason or another. I'm glad someone didn't decide they were dead wood and run them off.

As long as inactive members aren't bothering anybody, I see no reason to delete them. Like others have said, some just like to read and that's fine. What we see is different than what the admins see. It's likely some of the silent members have logged on and off and we'd never know it. Being a member means you have the ability to send/receive PM's and the tracking cookies can alert you to new posts. This isn't possible if you haven't joined.

The best way to start a conversation is here, not by PM's to people you've never seen on the forums.

The community here is all inclusive and should remain that way. Nobody should feel that they have to post. If you feel that you have something to offer, that's great. If not, that's great too. Some people feel too intimidated to post, espescially when you are a new player or new to the forum. This is a wonderful place, a great resource, and should be enjoyed by all. No one should feel pressured by a quota system to have to post.

I agree with the others who have chimed in before me. Welcome Bubba, and use the forum to make contacts, sound off, and get questions answered. You will make some wonderful friends here. I have.

Welcome to UU!

It doesn't bother me if people don't post. It doesn't bother me if they do post. I have a little routine of going on UU, hitting the forum button, and then hitting "What's New". It shows me what threads have had activity since I was last here. We may be a big place but we're all family. You'll get used to us. Have fun. You'll learn tons of stuff here.

This forum is huge but, is it efficient. Being the biggest isn't always being efficient.

I have spent several hours trying to communicate with players and I get no replies. I have sent 2 emails to the administrators and haven't gotten a reply. I notice some members have never posted anything which I guess is OK, but, if all they wish to do is read new posts, they can do that without being a member.

In my opinion I would rather belong to a small forum with a lot of activity within than a large dead one.

What do you think?

I live in Harrisburg, Pa.. This area is dead. There is one store that had one ukulele and they didn't know of anyone who plays one. I PMed one person and that dried up. There were others that I emailed, no reply. I am one frustrated guy. Is there help out there?

I know of two members here who is from Harrisburg:)

The PM thing isn't the best idea. It does work and I know Kanaka recommended checking out FMM's player directory. I did that and sent 50 emails it felt like. Got a response from three of the guys. Not best odds but then I posted here and next thing you know there is a South East Ukers clan:)

Hey ole John, if you know 2 and there is me, that makes 3. Starting to get crowded here. Just kidding. If you do know them, tell them to PM me. I know one by the name "bigploch".

Maybe we can get something going here.

Thanks

Inactive members are members who haven't logged in in something like 10 days or something. A lot of people sign in once in a while to say something but not necessarily enough to keep them active. Sure there are also a lot of people who signed up and stopped posting but its impossible to go through 20k+ users to find out which ones sign in occasionally and which ones are gone.

Oooooh, Ryan has a gold star and a UUU logo.....pretty darn cool!

Hey Bubba, First off, welcome to UU. Second, I suggest posting under the Regional Get Togethers section - just put your city/state in the subject to make it easy for others to find. You can also subscribe to your thread so you will know when someone replies to it (since posts remain here forever, you might get replies for...forever.) :) By posting in that section, you also make it easy for others to find you when they use the search feature.

PMs are not the best way at all to find people. Not everyone lists their location, for example I don't put my city on mine. I don't want random people knowing where I live. BUT, if someone happens to ask if people are from my area, and I know the person because they're an active poster, I would tell them.

I don't post all that much. I have made a few threads in the tab section. My guess is alot of members are like me and looking for tabs for songs and this is one of the best places for it. I came here for one tab and stayed for the advice on technique.

Top Bottom