My first Tenor

Timbuck

Reaction score
This is the very first Tenor that I have built, and it took a lot more work than expected.
The Aquila strings arrived today..and so I fitted them and set up the uke..and first thing tested out the compensating bridge, first I try'd re-entrant tuning and then Low G..It was spot on in tune all the way down on all strings ...It is loud and has a beautiful sound like you'd expect from Mahogany..I kept away from too much ornimentation and concentrated on it's playability...it has a solid Mahogany body and one piece neck..Sapella kerfed triangle shape linings..spruce bracings and tone bars ..rosewood fretboard with 3/32" dia MOP markers...Ebony bridge..and Ox-bone saddles and nut.
So Thank you to "Mr D Hurd" for the saddle/bridge measurments..Thanks to "Pete Howlett" for his help in the design..And thanks to Mrs Timbuck for the excellent French Polish job.
PICT6673.jpg

PICT6690.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job Ken! Love that bridge
Have you figured out the shipping size limit yet? I see travel ukes with hinged necks in your future :)
Stephen
This one has a " Compound Dovetail" neck joint...but if I made bolt on necks I suppose I could ship internationaly and keep within the 600mm limit....as long as the weight is below 2Kgs.

That's a brilliant solution to those who decide on a low g then want a re-entrant tuned uke. The compensation looks quite severe to me. What is it Ken in real measurements?

That's a brilliant solution to those who decide on a low g then want a re-entrant tuned uke. The compensation looks quite severe to me. What is it Ken in real measurements?

It's only .125" (1/8") difference between the A string and C string the G is a little more..David Hurd has the difference at .130" for Tenors.
And ther's still room for more adjustment as the saddles are 2 mm thick

Last edited:
Beautiful tenor, Ken, and the FP is outstanding. The 3/32" fret markers made me laugh....they come in mm over here.

What! mm's in the US ??? well it's a start ..What else has gone Metric apart from the currency?.

The mms in lutherie are probably a leftover from the Spanish tradition. My builder friends who are classically trained all talk in mms. Makes me crazy.
To me, mms are really a tasty chocolate treat that melts in your mouth, not in your hands.

The mms in lutherie are probably a leftover from the Spanish tradition. My builder friends who are classically trained all talk in mms. Makes me crazy.
To me, mms are really a tasty chocolate treat that melts in your mouth, not in your hands.

Are you talking about chocolate mms, peanut mms, or the almond mms? Just when I think I’m catching on to the lingo here, someone tosses in candy coated snacks!

There's Pretzel M&M's and PB&J ones in NY

She usese Button Shellac dissolved in Methelated Spirit with 10% Gum Sandarac added...This the Shellac :drool: it looks like you could eat it.
shellac.jpg

Thanks... They kind-of look like un-coated M&M's!! I'm doing a mahogany tenor now and I'm thinking of doing a FP on it now.

She usese Button Shellac dissolved in Methelated Spirit with 10% Gum Sandarac added...This the Shellac :drool: it looks like you could eat it.
shellac.jpg

You can! Just give the stuff a sniff, you could eat it up. Shellac is also used as the coating on the outside of medicine tablets and it's even used in some chewing gums, candies, etc. Adding denatured alcohol makes the mix toxic, of course, but the shellac itself is non-toxic.

The sandarac is an excellent idea - we used about 20% in our amber varnish.

If you fancy eating bug spit, go for it! lolz... it might even have nutrititional value. Shellac friggin rocks. And no... I'm not a camper. I always take the point.
.. unless I'm snipin'

Last edited:
Top Bottom