Strings

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I was stuck the other day without a set of tenor strings so I 'what the heck' and put a set of concerts on and lo and behold great! I now use Aquila concerts for all my instruments - increased tension on sopranos giving a stronger voice, ideal tension for concerts and slightly slack for tenors where I do often find that most string sets have too much tension. Now how anarchical is that folks?

I was stuck the other day without a set of tenor strings so I 'what the heck' and put a set of concerts on and lo and behold great! I now use Aquila concerts for all my instruments - increased tension on sopranos giving a stronger voice, ideal tension for concerts and slightly slack for tenors where I do often find that most string sets have too much tension. Now how anarchical is that folks?

I would have never thought of that. I'm gonna try that on my personal soprano. I'm switching to Aquilas too, I've said it before but I feel like repeating myself because I like to see my own text, the Aquilas sound so buttery. That's what I think of when I hear them played on youtube... buttery. Man I'm hungover.

Question Please: If one uses concert strings,(which I am assuming are of a smaller thickness) and use the concert strings on a larger instrument, would the distance of the oscillation not increase, and could that not result in a buzz when you fret the instrument?

I bet the answer is in the book Left Brain Luthierie... I almost type left wing lutherie lol. On my electrics I always use Ernie Ball custom lights... if the frets have isssues I do notice it more with the lights...

Top Bottom