Off Topic: My First Jig!

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I call it, The Finger Cam:
fingercam..jpg
A month ago or so I managed to blow my healing tendon, so I'm looking at another surgery. Saw the new surgeon late last week. He said I needed to work that finger manually to regain as much motion as possible before the operation. He then showed me how to wrap it up with an ace bandage, causing the finger to flex, but effectively rendering my right hand useless. This little device lets me work the finger with one hand, and I can work my mouse while still holding the wrack, I mean, cam (that dexterity comes from two months of learning to deal with the bodged up finger). Anyway, once it stops hurting to stretch it as much as I am, I'll make a smaller one, and stretch it more. Eventually, I will (hopefully) regain 90% of the motion.

"Eventually, I will (hopefully) regain 90% of the motion." Man I'm glad to hear that Matt. Clever device there, you should get a patent on that.

Nice to hear that things seem to be going well for you. :)

Matt - its good to hear you are recovering, even with a few set backs. If your little device works, you should patent it and sell it. I once sat next to a guy on a long flight to somewhere and he had a company that made and sold all sorts of devices to do physical therapy as well as disabled people. Some of his devices were quite ingenious (as is yours) and he was making a pretty good living for an old garage hacker.

Matt

I once parked my pointer finger between a cement block and a car. It didn't do wonders for my finger. Later after the pins were removed it wouldn't bend. Doc said to bend it a lot. I couldn't bend it a lot if I couldn't bend it at all. So I taped it to my middle finger, all day. It worked like a charm. Every time I bent my hand or middle finger my pointer finger went along for the ride.
Today it works great. A bit crooked but it works. I did it for two weeks. Maybe that might work for you too.

Matt

I once parked my pointer finger between a cement block and a car. It didn't do wonders for my finger. Later after the pins were removed it wouldn't bend. Doc said to bend it a lot. I couldn't bend it a lot if I couldn't bend it at all. So I taped it to my middle finger, all day. It worked like a charm. Every time I bent my hand or middle finger my pointer finger went along for the ride.
Today it works great. A bit crooked but it works. I did it for two weeks. Maybe that might work for you too.

That's a great idea, and I will try it as soon as I have some more motion in that finger. Right now it would only limit my middle finger (that picture shows exactly how far the index will currently bend).

Thanks for everybody's comments.

Matt, I hope you can get everything straightened out and bent back into shape (pun intended) with your finger. Who knows, maybe the finger cam is just what the PTs have been waiting for. Whatever you do, take it easy.

fingercam2..jpg Finger cam, V2.0. It's a little too small, but does allow me to bend my index so that I can make a lopsided OK sign. Forefinger, meet your old friend, the thumb!

Digital technology - neat!

All the best for your continued recovery.

John Colter.

Top Bottom