PDA

View Full Version : New uke-first acquisition in a year

tuscadero
04-27-2010, 04:49 AM
I haven't been on the site much lately, I've been working a ton. Still, a new uke needs announcing, and quite honestly, my non-ukulele playing friends don't really see the point. (Another one? Don't you already have like 5 or 6 of them?) But you, you understand, don't you?

Last week I pulled the trigger on a Big Island Ukulele Deluxe Honu Concert. I live near the Music Emporium in Lexington, MA. They have most of the big K brands as well as Pono and Fleas and Flukes, etc. I was saving towards something solid and koa and pretty. I tried them all and the Honu really spoke to me. There's not a lot on the forums about them, but they're really quite beautiful.

My only problem so far is that I have this sweet, lovely instrument, but I'm still just a banger and strummer. I think it's time to take some lessons to justify the expense :rolleyes:

harpdog
04-27-2010, 04:56 AM
Congrats - let us see a picture

HaileISela
04-27-2010, 05:06 AM
I tried out a Honu in a shop nearby, too. no deluxe model, but a very beautiful Koa soprano. I know what you mean, that thing sounded so amazing!

Playscool39
04-27-2010, 05:09 AM
Ofcourse we understand! Most of us suffer the UAS :DHave fun with your new addition.Can't wait to see sum vids and pics!

Chris Tarman
04-27-2010, 05:10 AM
Every now and then when MGM has a Honu soprano with rope binding, my mouse-finger starts to twitch. I've never heard or played or even seen one in person. But it's good to know you like yours. You know. Just in case.

cletus
04-27-2010, 05:36 AM
Congratulations, now play that uke! And pictures?

SailingUke
04-27-2010, 05:46 AM
My only problem so far is that I have this sweet, lovely instrument, but I'm still just a banger and strummer. I think it's time to take some lessons to justify the expense :rolleyes:

When I started aquiring my expensive ukes I was a strummer as well. The good ukes have motivated me into improvement. The last year I have worked/practiced hard and really made some significant progress.
I try to play everyday and I enjoy it more. I also started teaching beginners and it has helped me understand the basics as well. I have even studied more theory and now I find I understand the why along with the how.
IMHO, if you play, you deserve the best (and most) instrument(s) you can afford. When people ask me why I have so many ukes, I just ask them how many pairs of shoes they have. Of course my 10 ukes go with my 12 guitars.

mailman
04-27-2010, 08:15 AM
I haven't been on the site much lately, I've been working a ton. Still, a new uke needs announcing, and quite honestly, my non-ukulele playing friends don't really see the point. (Another one? Don't you already have like 5 or 6 of them?) But you, you understand, don't you?

Last week I pulled the trigger on a Big Island Ukulele Deluxe Honu Concert. I live near the Music Emporium in Lexington, MA. They have most of the big K brands as well as Pono and Fleas and Flukes, etc. I was saving towards something solid and koa and pretty. I tried them all and the Honu really spoke to me. There's not a lot on the forums about them, but they're really quite beautiful.

Oh, my.... They've invented the perfect woman! ;)

SailQwest
04-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Congrats on the new uke! Those Honus are lovely.

sukie
04-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Congrats on the new uke and this time stick around. :-)

bbycrts
04-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Nice! I've never heard a single bad thing about Big Island's ukes - they're sure purty!

darkwater
04-27-2010, 10:55 AM
I stopped by the Emporium for the first time during a September visit to Boston. More nice ukes in stock than any place else I've visited. I remember the Honus well.