Mechanics & Technique vs. Knowledge of Music

CoLmes

UU+
Reaction score
So since the UUU has become registrable I'm stuck between 2 classes. Uke 102 and Music Theory. I want to pick one and I can't decide if it be better to try and master the techniques of the uke and learn theory after or vice versa..

I consider myself an intermediate player, above beginner and maybe not scratching the surface of advanced but I can see it in the distance? Does that make sense? I dunno.. but basically If I go with the 102... I know a good bit of the beginning classes but I can see a lot of stuff that I don't know and would like to learn.

When I look at the music theory class, I no absolutely zero of music theory. So the entire class would be a learning experience.

I'm scared of I take the music theory and then take the 102 the next time around that AG won't be teaching it, and I want to learn from him.

Dahhh decisions.

Any one have any thoughts or experiences with Mechanics vs. Knowledge of music

Definitely music theory. The fact is that there is no perfect technique while there is definitely set rules for theory. Your technique will develop and improve as you continue to play.

Definitely music theory. The fact is that there is no perfect technique while there is definitely set rules for theory. Your technique will develop and improve as you continue to play.

I agree with this sentiment. Playing will happen anyway and the theory will only enhance that. Plus, there are a billion useful tutorials available on all the various techniques out there, but not so much in the way of theory, you have to dig more for that. So if there is a good source for that sort of thing and you're enthusiastic enough to get cerebral about it, jump on it! It's not as exciting as the actual playing tutorials as far as instant gratification, but well worth the effort. It's possible to be a great player without a ton of knowlege of theory, but as I've said in similar threads, knowlege is power. Ideally, of course, these two aspects of musicianship go hand in hand.

Fine woodworker Sam Maloof used to say that he prefers seeing "...a wonderful design poorly executed than a simple design done very well." His thinking was that a person can always improve their technique through lessons and practice. But a great design requires inspiration.

Translating to ukulele, [we] can always obtain a new technique through practice. But the music itself has to come from within.

Top Bottom