This uke photo scares me.....

R

RyanMFT

Umm....I found this photo of Nancy Sinatra and a Kook-A-lele. What the hell was going on in the 60's?

a
sinatra_nancy_avant.jpg

Ah Nancy Sinatra. I had such a crush on her when I was a lad. If I had seen that photo when I was younger, I might have picked up a ukulele instead of a guitar. As it was, I was seduced by this lass:
Joan+Baez+5505300.jpg

and was soon strumming my six-string to her beat.

I was there.. This is what was happening in the 1960s... uh.. Hmm... Well.... Uh... <blank>... humph.. I don't remember.... ;)

Gotta say out of those two pics, Joan Baez is much more appealing to me. Musically too.

That has to be one of the all-time best ukulele photos! Thanks!

I just envision the photo shoot for this.....Hey, hold this instrument you know nothing about, while you wear a black and white uni-tard.....wait....let's throw this stool in.....that will be really cool man.

Ah Nancy Sinatra. I had such a crush on her when I was a lad. If I had seen that photo when I was younger, I might have picked up a ukulele instead of a guitar. As it was, I was seduced by this lass:
Joan+Baez+5505300.jpg

and was soon strumming my six-string to her beat.
Did you know that Joan Baez started on the ukulele before she learned guitar?
From Wikipedia
Early years
A friend of her father gave her a ukulele. She learned four chords, which enabled her to play rhythm and blues songs, the music she was listening to at the time. Her parents, however, were fearful that the music would lead her into a life of drug addiction.[11] At her aunt's behest, Baez at age eight attended a concert by folk musician Pete Seeger, and found herself strongly attracted to his music.[11] She soon began practicing the songs of his repertoire and performing them publicly. One of her very earliest public performances was at a retreat in Saratoga, California, for a youth group from Temple Beth Jacob, a Redwood City, California, congregation. A short 8mm film of this has recently been found. In 1957, Baez bought her first Gibson guitar for US$50.
–Lori

Not many people are aware of this, but Nancy Sinatra actually founded a radical group called The Ukulele Underground back in the sixties. Their co-founder was Tiny Tim. They had no militant agenda to overthrow the government, just to re-establish the ukulele as a mainstream instrument. It almost worked, until Tiny Tim became a laughing stock on "Laugh In," the seminal 60's TV comedy show. Arthur Godfrey, the "Establishment" of ukulele players of the time, mounted a crippling blow to the Ukulele Underground when he disclosed what he claimed was the true objective of the UU, namely, WORLD DOMINATION THROUGH PEACE LOVE AND UKULELES!!!

I'd love to hear her sing "Bang Bang" while playing that wicked cool axe.

When I showed my wife the photo of Nancy she said we should dress me up like that and I should do the same pose on a stool with my Treholipee, then put the photos side by side. THAT would be a scary image!

When I showed my wife the photo of Nancy she said we should dress me up like that and I should do the same pose on a stool with my Treholipee, then put the photos side by side. THAT would be a scary image!

Did you win that Treholipee on ebay last night Ryan or did you already have one?

I have had it for a couple of years......sounds like one went on eBay last night. I'm curious how much it went for? I paid $63.00 for mine at an antique collective. They had no idea what it was!

I have had it for a couple of years......sounds like one went on eBay last night. I'm curious how much it went for? I paid $63.00 for mine at an antique collective. They had no idea what it was!

It sold for $380.00! Was in excelent condition.

If anyone's interested, there's a Kook A La Lee on the Orlando Craigslist right now. It says the pins are missing, but I don't think they came with them from the pics I've seen. Other than a missing fret marker, it looks pretty good.

Kook A La Lee

You are right Kevin, that uke is complete....there were no bridge pins to hold in the strings....just tie a knot and put it through the hole and pull it tight. Also, there is no fret marker in there, it is just paint in a small depression in the plastic.

DK, $380!!! I can't believe it! I paid less for a mint used Kamaka recently!

I like that outfit. I would totally wear that to a gig.

Her face is the scariest thing the photo, it reminds me of the Stepford Wives.

Top Bottom