PDA

View Full Version : This uke photo scares me.....

RyanMFT
04-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Umm....I found this photo of Nancy Sinatra and a Kook-A-lele. What the hell was going on in the 60's?

ahttp://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz199/RyanMFT_photos/sinatra_nancy_avant.jpg

bazmaz
04-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Is that where fleamarket got inspiration for the fluke??

In fact I think they should make one of these!

jer989
04-28-2010, 01:04 AM
... What the hell was going on in the 60's?

you know EXACTLY what was going on in the sixties....and it shows in that there uke!

ichadwick
04-28-2010, 02:11 AM
Ah Nancy Sinatra. I had such a crush on her when I was a lad. If I had seen that photo when I was younger, I might have picked up a ukulele instead of a guitar. As it was, I was seduced by this lass:
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/29395127/Joan+Baez+5505300.jpg
and was soon strumming my six-string to her beat.

greg_usa
04-28-2010, 04:00 AM
yeah - she's hot. scary is not the word I'd use ;o)

greg_usa
04-28-2010, 04:01 AM
those boots were made for walking alright! HYOOOO! sorry - couldn't resist. ;o)

Tudorp
04-28-2010, 04:02 AM
I was there.. This is what was happening in the 1960s... uh.. Hmm... Well.... Uh... <blank>... humph.. I don't remember.... ;)

Chris Tarman
04-28-2010, 04:03 AM
Gotta say out of those two pics, Joan Baez is much more appealing to me. Musically too.

cletus
04-28-2010, 04:09 AM
That has to be one of the all-time best ukulele photos! Thanks!

RyanMFT
04-28-2010, 05:03 AM
I just envision the photo shoot for this.....Hey, hold this instrument you know nothing about, while you wear a black and white uni-tard.....wait....let's throw this stool in.....that will be really cool man.

Lori
04-28-2010, 05:42 AM
Ah Nancy Sinatra. I had such a crush on her when I was a lad. If I had seen that photo when I was younger, I might have picked up a ukulele instead of a guitar. As it was, I was seduced by this lass:
Did you know that Joan Baez started on the ukulele before she learned guitar?
From Wikipedia

Early years
A friend of her father gave her a ukulele. She learned four chords, which enabled her to play rhythm and blues songs, the music she was listening to at the time. Her parents, however, were fearful that the music would lead her into a life of drug addiction.[11] At her aunt's behest, Baez at age eight attended a concert by folk musician Pete Seeger, and found herself strongly attracted to his music.[11] She soon began practicing the songs of his repertoire and performing them publicly. One of her very earliest public performances was at a retreat in Saratoga, California, for a youth group from Temple Beth Jacob, a Redwood City, California, congregation. A short 8mm film of this has recently been found. In 1957, Baez bought her first Gibson guitar for US$50.
–Lori

ukecantdothat
04-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Not many people are aware of this, but Nancy Sinatra actually founded a radical group called The Ukulele Underground back in the sixties. Their co-founder was Tiny Tim. They had no militant agenda to overthrow the government, just to re-establish the ukulele as a mainstream instrument. It almost worked, until Tiny Tim became a laughing stock on "Laugh In," the seminal 60's TV comedy show. Arthur Godfrey, the "Establishment" of ukulele players of the time, mounted a crippling blow to the Ukulele Underground when he disclosed what he claimed was the true objective of the UU, namely, WORLD DOMINATION THROUGH PEACE LOVE AND UKULELES!!!

I'd love to hear her sing "Bang Bang" while playing that wicked cool axe.

RyanMFT
04-28-2010, 07:36 AM
When I showed my wife the photo of Nancy she said we should dress me up like that and I should do the same pose on a stool with my Treholipee, then put the photos side by side. THAT would be a scary image!

dkcrown
04-28-2010, 07:55 AM
When I showed my wife the photo of Nancy she said we should dress me up like that and I should do the same pose on a stool with my Treholipee, then put the photos side by side. THAT would be a scary image!

Did you win that Treholipee on ebay last night Ryan or did you already have one?

RyanMFT
04-28-2010, 01:10 PM
I have had it for a couple of years......sounds like one went on eBay last night. I'm curious how much it went for? I paid $63.00 for mine at an antique collective. They had no idea what it was!

KevinV
04-28-2010, 01:28 PM
If anyone's interested, there's a Kook A La Lee on the Orlando Craigslist right now. It says the pins are missing, but I don't think they came with them from the pics I've seen. Other than a missing fret marker, it looks pretty good.

Kook A La Lee (http://orlando.craigslist.org/msg/1712497756.html)

dkcrown
04-28-2010, 01:57 PM
I have had it for a couple of years......sounds like one went on eBay last night. I'm curious how much it went for? I paid $63.00 for mine at an antique collective. They had no idea what it was!

It sold for $380.00! Was in excelent condition.

RyanMFT
04-28-2010, 03:29 PM
If anyone's interested, there's a Kook A La Lee on the Orlando Craigslist right now. It says the pins are missing, but I don't think they came with them from the pics I've seen. Other than a missing fret marker, it looks pretty good.

Kook A La Lee (http://orlando.craigslist.org/msg/1712497756.html)

You are right Kevin, that uke is complete....there were no bridge pins to hold in the strings....just tie a knot and put it through the hole and pull it tight. Also, there is no fret marker in there, it is just paint in a small depression in the plastic.

DK, $380!!! I can't believe it! I paid less for a mint used Kamaka recently!

Skitzic
04-29-2010, 05:21 AM
I like that outfit. I would totally wear that to a gig.

Zakulele
04-29-2010, 08:03 AM
Her face is the scariest thing the photo, it reminds me of the Stepford Wives.

Bender
04-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Somehow they seem real intuitive on the direction that you turn them. Given the variety of different ways I have strung my ukes that have geared tuners, and then throw in the ones that have friction tuners, inevitably I crank them the wrong way the first time around :p

redheadedali
05-02-2010, 06:28 AM
Oh, my gracious, that is awesome!

mds725
05-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Thank heavens someone found a photo of Nancy Sinatra looking like that! I saw a similar photo in the early 70s and I thought someone had put some acid in my orange juice. Now I know it wasn't a hallucination. That outfit does give new meaning to the song she sang with her dad, "Something Stupid."

SnakeOiler
05-03-2010, 03:52 AM
Joan Baez is much more appealing to me.

JB is also an avowed Uke player

Pippin
05-03-2010, 09:27 AM

I love that guitar!!!

I love Parlor Guitars anyway.

KamakOzzie
05-03-2010, 03:46 PM
That has to be one of the all-time best ukulele photos! Thanks!

This one gets my vote !

ukecantdothat
05-03-2010, 04:08 PM
I said in my earlier reply that Miss Nancy should have done a uke version of "Bang Bang" which she covered beautifully. It's a great Sonny Bono song that his ex Cher also did. I couldn't find a uke version of it, so I this slapped this together...

http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=UpugNqM29RE

vntgebetty
05-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Love the novelty ukes! Okay... now thanks to that picture of Nancy Sinatra - I want a Swagerty.... UGH...UAS...

ricdoug
05-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I like that outfit. I would totally wear that to a gig.

PHOTO's, PLEASE!