Makala Dolphin - plastic back - review

bazmaz

Reaction score
Last edited:
you can subscribe to it through google, or subscribe to the RSS feed too!

That's awesome! Great review! Now I want one, gah. :D But I just bought a Fluke.

Only £25! Couple of cd's!

Haha, I think I'll make obvious hints about it being a good birthday present to my friends and see what happens. :D
But yeah, seriously, that's only about 10 bucks more than a Mahalo and it looks like it's twice as good.

I heart my Dolphin. It's my go-to picnic uke.

Great review that once again got me to pick up my own (actually my wife's) Dolphin and play that thing like crazy. For all its praise, it deserves more praise. And I'm ordering another one...

Great review, Paul. I just got this Makala Dolphin (orange sunburst) from MGM yesterday.

attachment.php

It's a great little ukulele. It's going to be my car/beach/picnic/hiking/camping ukulele, but it sounds as good as my other soprano (a Kala laminate signed by Jake Shimabukuro).

How do you tell if its the plastic back one?? I like you started out on a Mahalo, they are junk for sure, my two toddlers now beat it around the house and I got myself a OU3 but I wanted a cheap playable Soprano too so this seems like the ticket! Cheers.

Not sure how you check without seeing it in flesh (it's obviously not wood inside) without asking dealer as I did.

I asked MGM about this a few weeks ago and he said the ones he had in stock had plastic backs.

Jason

Follow up: no need to order. Got one today. Had one in stock with the color I wanted: black (metallic)... the Johnny Cash Dolphin...will post pic later....

question - is it only the plastic backed one that has the curved back? that may be an obvious way to check you are getting the plastic model?

Does the orange look orange or yellow? I like the idea of an orange burst but all the pictures look yellow to me.

question - is it only the plastic backed one that has the curved back? that may be an obvious way to check you are getting the plastic model?
We have one of each, my grandaughter's is the purple plastic body and the back is noticably curved while my grandsons redburst is the wood body and the back is absolutely flat. Not sure if they are all like ours, but I'd bet it's a quick way to tell. They are both sweet sounding nice playing uke's, the wood seems a bit more mellow and the plastic a bit brighter, for the price I don't think you can get a better uke.

Does the orange look orange or yellow? I like the idea of an orange burst but all the pictures look yellow to me.

Mine is more orange than the one in the photo, which I pulled from MGM's eBay listing. I think it may have something to do with flash vs. natural light. On my uke, the part that looks yellow in the photo is more like the color of the orange highlights in the photo, and the highlights on mine are even darker. I'll try to take a photo of mine in natural light and post it if it remotely resembes what the uke looks like in person.

Top Bottom