How do cheap ukes compare, sound wise, to quality ukes?

bazmaz

Reaction score
Cheap versus quality: a bit like instant coffee compared with freshly-brewed. Or Bud light compared with a small-batch micro-brew beer. Or a microwaved TV dinner compared with a fine restaurant meal.

yep!

surprised how well the Dolphin stands up though

Yep. I agree. You can't really compare Apples to Oranges. That said, you should be asking, what cheap Ukes compare in sound with each other, or quality Ukes sound compared to each other. Buy what you can afford to. If you go cheap, get the best sound for what your budget will allow. But even that said, it depends on the sound you are happy with, and that can even change depending on strings, and other factors. It is very hard to target. Besides that, its hard to tell you a sound, other than "mellow", "Bright" etc. You would have to hear it for yourself. It's like "seeing" a sound I guess. I have a Lanikai LU-21 for a throwdown Uke, and it sounds pretty good for a cheap Uke. But I have different strings on it, than I do my good one, which sound "brighter" too. I then have what I consider a good Uke being an Ohana SK-35. The Ohana might be considered a cheap Uke to some, but I like it, being a solid mohogany, has an awesome mellow sound, but I also have Aquillas on it. Then I got a Harmony Banjo Uke. Not sure if it is considered a cheap one or not. I think it was a beginer Uke in the 1930s, and was probably pretty cheap and cost 5 bucks or so then, even though I have as much in it as I do my Ohana today. It sounds COMPLETELY different than the other two. It has a tinny banjo like sound (go figure, lol)...

Really, I guess what I am saying is that is a very difficult question, especially comparing the taste of an Apple to the taste of Asparagus..

Last edited:
maybe I should change my thread title - still, its aimed at absolute beginners who may be wanting to see the difference between a £20 uke and a £100 uke. True - there is good and bad at every level, and sound is subjective - but these are just the ukes I own.

How good would it be to get sound samples of every uke, strung the same, played the same!

Paul, I have new found respect for the Kala KA-T on which I slapped some Pro Artes. The Makala tenor is also a great value as evidenced on this vid posted on Ukulele Hunt...

http://ukulelehunt.com/buy-ukulele/models/makala-mk-t-tenor-ukulele/

Check out the dude playing Roy Smeck....

Yesterday I was in NYC and played a $670 Ko‘olau Ukulele soprano...yeah I "get it" but I won't buy one...

I go with Aquilas on my Flea soprano and Dolphin but will be changing the Aquilas on my Kala pineapple and 15-S to something less woofy and harsh... maybe even Hilos (not joking) or Martins...

Last edited:
But see to me, even the Mahalo's sound is something special.
Your playing can be largely credited.
The uke itself does have a toyish sound. But it's a happy sound. There can be a time and a place for that sound. It's why sometimes a toy piano or a rudimentary xylophone will be used for a piece of music. Yann Tiersen (composer of the Amelie soundtrack) can do wondrous things with a piano. But he's also happy to pull magic out of a toy piano or two.
Unpolished, unrefined can have their place. It's a child's voice vs. a trained voice. Sure, one can listen to and enjoy a trained voice for much longer than they'd tolerate or be charmed by a child's voice. One can be further transported by music that is rich in tones. But that innoccent sound can definitely have its place. Don't hate on something that never had much of a chance. Though not as effective and efficient, it still fulfills its destiny to make music. "Firewood". Poor unloved unwanted Mahalo. You must've crushed its humble spirit.

I anthropomorphisize too much. I know.

I've often thought that the cheap sound of an instrument doesn't get exploited enough in ukeland...

Think of them Stella guitars and the Blues...

Yep, I put aquilas originally on my Mainland and wasn't happy with it. Switched to Martin Flouros which I must say, are brilliant on it. I did try ko'aloha golds on it but I just didn't get on with them at all.

Amazing how much better the Makala sounds than the Mahalo. Great comparison for someone looking to start off with a cheap uke that also sounds good. Love the Flea, but I think yours sounds better than mine - maybe its the player [g].

Last edited:
worth browns on the flea actually - went through a lot of types till i got ones i was happy with. aquilas were just too,... erm,... much! (you know?)

worth browns on the flea actually - went through a lot of types till i got ones i was happy with. aquilas were just too,... erm,... much! (you know?)

Yeah I myself was thinking of opting out of Aquilas even on the Flea since frankly I really don't like the way it sounds when strummed...kind of a default string at the moment. Great thread BTW. I think Martins and Hilos get an unfair bashing.

Last edited:

Maybe I should try them next time I change strings on the Flea. The Aquilas can be a bit "strident" as Ken Middleton described them on one of the Ohanas. Yours sounds very mellow, but still retains nice volume. I think volume is the main reason most go to the Aquilas, although I like the floating string look they give on my lava Flea.

Last edited:
incidentally, the mahalo problem is down to some of the frets actually being set on a slight angle. I took bridge and nut down too (so you can only imagine how crappy it was before that - impossible to play).

This is as good as I could get it without reseating frets or changing the neck! - hardly worth it.

It really is a junker - my fave feature is the fingerboard - supposed to look like ebony - actually black paint that comes off on your fingers.....

BTW - you are all being terribly flattering about my playing - it was all over the shop - just wanted to strum some jangly chops to show comparison - no idea what I am playing though - seem to be switching between three songs!

Plus - -I think the Makala is v slightly out of tune too - new strings still settling in a bit

Last edited:
Great sound test! I can't believe the difference between the Mahalo and the Makala. I also have a Mahalo (though I never play it) and I didn't realize quite how awful they could sound. And the Makala sounds nearly as good as the Mainland! (At least to my untrained ears.)

The Makala is much much warmer and fuller in sound. The Mahalo, as I say, has had a lot of tweaking to the set up - but honestly, it is always gonna sound plunky cos the top is half a cm thick plywood!!

The sound recording on my cam probably doesnt pick up subtle tones - the flea is clearly louder and fuller but in the flesh, the Mainland has a lovely chiming yet warm sound that just thrills me.

I agree with poster above - bang for buck on sound alone, and I suppose you gotta say Makala on this test. The Mainland though really is a beautifully made and finished instrument with a real quality tone.

Beginners though - and that is who I am aiming my blog at - you really should consider the Dolphin!

Last edited:
The Mahalo instruments are awful, but Al over at UkeHunt reviewed their LP-style in a positive light, and I've heard others say the same. It's been two years since I sold my original uke, which got me into playing it, and going back to Maholo certainly was eye-opening. But I kinda like it, even though I really want to run out to the garden with some petrol and matches.

I am quite comfortable comparing the sound of a Dolphin with something costing 20 times as much. I did just that in a store a couple months back. I was amazed at how well the Dolphin compared to a couple of old Martin sops. And the fit and finish on the Dolphin was amazing. Then I picked up another Dolphin from the shelf. It had several finish flaws, some roughly placed frets and didn't play nearly as well. Still great for the price, but... So there you have it. There are some killer ukes in that line, just look 'em over first.

Top Bottom