Awaiting RISA Uke-solid with GEARED tuners!

kissing

Reaction score
Hehe, I once parted with a Risa Uke-Solid.
It was a fantastic and portable electric uke. Sounded great through an amp.
It was built solid like a weapon. And it got peoples' attention.

But it had........... friction tuners D:
And those drove me up the wall. I'm a really fussy person when it comes to tuning.
I'm one of those people who check every couple of minutes with a tuner to see if the strings are in tune, and make small adjustments frequently. To someone like this, friction tuners are very annoying.
And in situations where you sort of have to tune up quickly to play, they are less than ideal.

Well guess what I have coming in the mail?
A new and improved Concert Uke-stick with GEARED tuners baby! I know it's going to rock my world :D

left: New Concert Uke-solid with geared tuners. right: Original model Soprano Uke-solid with friction tuners
newukesolid.jpg

(photo provided by Rigk from Risa)

I think they're in very early stages of production. They have not yet added it to their website.
He told me that they'll probably be adding geared tuners to all size Uke-solids within 2010. I was able to order the geared Concert Uke-Solid by emailing him, and leaving a note when purchasing to send the Geared tuner model.

Last edited:
Very cool! I'd love to have a Risa with geared tuners.

I have a reputation for being a tuning nazi, and while I love my Risa soprano stick, I don't love its tuners.

I have found that lower tension strings make the tuners much less of an issue, while higher-tension strings make tuning the Risa a nightmare.

That looks good...

Risa solid were quite difficult to tune.

But your right they are excellent ukes overall and get a lot of attention.

Used to take my Risa to a rock and roll/blues jam lots of fun.

Thanks for sharing the info.

I'll be looking for them to be available soon, I hope.

I have a soprano solid that I've used a lot on Waikiki sidewalks.

It always gets a second look, especially from the local guys.

I hope I can get the Concert model like the one you've ordered.

I brought the Soprano Solid to the UU picnic last year and passed it around
for all to play. I had a little Honeytone amp with it.

Keep uke-in',

Geared tuners? very nice, wish I knew before I had bought my Tenor stick last November... but then I wouldnt have gotten into ukuleles as I am if i didnt i guess =]

I'll have to see if they work with the old models and how easy the DIY installation, though kinda scared to do so as I found it hard to remove the first string's peg.

let us know how they go Kissing, will be interested to see whether it helps with the tension needed on the first two string.

I'll have to see if they work with the old models and how easy the DIY installation,

I thought about this too. Flukes and Fleas have Grover friction tuners by default, and they can be switched out for peghead geared tuners.

Just an update to say that I received the concert uke-stick in the mail today.

ABSOLUTELY loving it!
Same old great Uke-stick sound through an amp. Same old great playability.
And geared tuners that work really well, and look snazzy at the same time ^^

I don't really know what to think about these things.. or electric ukes in general. I guess I now know how the Jazz community felt when Miles plugged in... but these just seem so... loungey?

Geared tuners? very nice, wish I knew before I had bought my Tenor stick last November... but then I wouldnt have gotten into ukuleles as I am if i didnt i guess =]

I'll have to see if they work with the old models and how easy the DIY installation, though kinda scared to do so as I found it hard to remove the first string's peg.

let us know how they go Kissing, will be interested to see whether it helps with the tension needed on the first two string.
Let me know if you get the geared tuners installed.

I bid on one on an auction site and didn't check the tuners first. I'll find out in 12 hours whether I've won it or not. But even if I don't, I'm still on the lookout for a used one.

I have a soprano with geared tuners. Luv it. I prefer it with my micro MD-20 Fender amp.

OK, I won the auction and should get the RISA Lennon in a few days. I plan to use it mostly for quiet practice and playing in the car when Husband drives. But now, my non-playing hubs, who is usually kind of a poop about these things, is curious about an amp. Where did this come from?? Is this the time to tell him about the bass uke I bought but he doesn't know about yet?? ;-)

So, good people, what amp do you like for the RISA stick? I'd like something that is small and light. As of now, I don't play in a group or play out, so it would be just for use at home and at our cabin. TIA

This seems to be a recent technology, but it may not be. I have only seen it in my magazine and do not know the price

The device is a headphone amp as well as a recording device, which could be a powerful combination.

Students and music creators who are regularly in environments where its hard to make a lot of noise may benefit from the combination of the headphone amp, recording and a USB digital interface.

It could be an ideal device to acquire with a Risa stick or a similar instrument.
This looks really cool. Thanks! I will check it out when I get a minute.

Let me know if you get the geared tuners installed.

I bid on one on an auction site and didn't check the tuners first. I'll find out in 12 hours whether I've won it or not. But even if I don't, I'm still on the lookout for a used one.
Ok, so I won the RISA but it has a broken tuner, so I will be exploring options to replace those tuners sooner than I expected.

First stop is at our friend the Luther to see what advice he has.

The uke is really cool and I will be able to pack it easily on the motorcycle, even the dual-sport, which is the one I ride the most.

new toys are fun!

Last edited:
Ok, so I won the RISA but it has a broken tuner, so I will be exploring options to replace those tuners sooner than I expected.

First stop is at our friend the Luther to see what advice he has.

The Joe is really cool and I will be able to pack it easily on the motorcycle, even the dual-sport, which is the one I ride the most.

new toys are fun!
If not much luck via other routes, consider contacting the manufacturer of Risa ukuleles (Rick Sauer).
He's helped me out with this kind of issue before.

Hehe, I once parted with a Risa Uke-Solid.
It was a fantastic and portable electric uke. Sounded great through an amp.
It was built solid like a weapon. And it got peoples' attention.

But it had........... friction tuners D:
Had one also, and I liked the sound and portability but I DESPISED the tuners...might have to revisit one again if geared tuners area available.

Had one also, and I liked the sound and portability but I DESPISED the tuners...might have to revisit one again if geared tuners area available.
They've been coming with geared planetary tuners for quite some time now (years). Those do look similar to friction tuners, but the tuning is easier. The gear ratio isn't that high, but definitely better than the original frictions. I don't currently own a uke solid, but I have played on quite a few.

If not much luck via other routes, consider contacting the manufacturer of Risa ukuleles (Rick Sauer).
Will send an email in the morning.

I considered doing this, but wanted to see "my" luthier first to see how big a deal it was. I bought this thing used from a charity auction, after all.

Paul the luthier is fantastic. I think he can fix *anything*. He had a friction peg on his workbench that almost matched perfectly but is better quality. I'm gonna give the friction tuners a fair shot and see if I can live with them or not.

After reading several old UU forum posts, I decided to re-string it with a set of Aquila nylons I had on hand (I have fluorocarbons on my Alvarez and my Pono, but thought I might like nylon on RISA.)

Re-stringing was not as difficult as I anticipated, but it does go easier with two people. I tied a surgeon's knot (or surgeon's knot with an extra twist on thinner strings) in the end of the string and that held just fine. We held the RISA upside down for easier access to the tuning pegs.

While bringing it up to tune, I made sure to tug both the main part and the non-speaking parts of the string to keep it even. No problems. One of the original tuners did need a tiny twist on the screw to keep the E in tune, but it wasn't much and is holding.

Thanks to everyone who provided info on these interesting ukes!

For more info, see these posts on UU:

RISA stick ukuleles my observations, ideas and possible tips

Risa string advice

Now, to research amps- a whole new topic for me!

Top Bottom