PDA

View Full Version : Awaiting RISA Uke-solid with GEARED tuners!

kissing
04-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Hehe, I once parted with a Risa Uke-Solid.
It was a fantastic and portable electric uke. Sounded great through an amp.
It was built solid like a weapon. And it got peoples' attention.

But it had........... friction tuners D:
And those drove me up the wall. I'm a really fussy person when it comes to tuning.
I'm one of those people who check every couple of minutes with a tuner to see if the strings are in tune, and make small adjustments frequently. To someone like this, friction tuners are very annoying.
And in situations where you sort of have to tune up quickly to play, they are less than ideal.

Well guess what I have coming in the mail?
A new and improved Concert Uke-stick with GEARED tuners baby! I know it's going to rock my world :D

left: New Concert Uke-solid with geared tuners. right: Original model Soprano Uke-solid with friction tuners
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/pactio_kiss/newukesolid.jpg
(photo provided by Rigk from Risa)

I think they're in very early stages of production. They have not yet added it to their website.
He told me that they'll probably be adding geared tuners to all size Uke-solids within 2010. I was able to order the geared Concert Uke-Solid by emailing him, and leaving a note when purchasing to send the Geared tuner model.

SailQwest
04-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Very cool! I'd love to have a Risa with geared tuners.

I have a reputation for being a tuning nazi, and while I love my Risa soprano stick, I don't love its tuners.

I have found that lower tension strings make the tuners much less of an issue, while higher-tension strings make tuning the Risa a nightmare.

UkeyLove
04-28-2010, 07:42 AM
That looks good...

Risa solid were quite difficult to tune.

But your right they are excellent ukes overall and get a lot of attention.

Used to take my Risa to a rock and roll/blues jam lots of fun.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
04-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks for sharing the info.

I'll be looking for them to be available soon, I hope.

I have a soprano solid that I've used a lot on Waikiki sidewalks.

It always gets a second look, especially from the local guys.

I hope I can get the Concert model like the one you've ordered.

I brought the Soprano Solid to the UU picnic last year and passed it around
for all to play. I had a little Honeytone amp with it.

Keep uke-in',

ToanIsAnIdiot
04-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Geared tuners? very nice, wish I knew before I had bought my Tenor stick last November... but then I wouldnt have gotten into ukuleles as I am if i didnt i guess =]

I'll have to see if they work with the old models and how easy the DIY installation, though kinda scared to do so as I found it hard to remove the first string's peg.

let us know how they go Kissing, will be interested to see whether it helps with the tension needed on the first two string.

phil_doleman
04-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Interesting idea using planetary tuners... I love my soprano stick, and it certainly is an attention grabber. Friction pegs don't bother me, and I find my stick never seems to go out of tune!

kissing
04-29-2010, 02:32 PM
I'll have to see if they work with the old models and how easy the DIY installation,

I thought about this too. Flukes and Fleas have Grover friction tuners by default, and they can be switched out for peghead geared tuners.

kissing
05-05-2010, 01:24 AM
Just an update to say that I received the concert uke-stick in the mail today.

ABSOLUTELY loving it!
Same old great Uke-stick sound through an amp. Same old great playability.
And geared tuners that work really well, and look snazzy at the same time ^^

chadp
05-05-2010, 09:22 AM
I don't really know what to think about these things.. or electric ukes in general. I guess I now know how the Jazz community felt when Miles plugged in... but these just seem so... loungey?