Most Annoying Song Ever

UKISOCIETY

Reaction score
An online poll conducted in the '90s set Vitaly Komar, Alex Melamid and David Soldier on a quest to create the most annoying song ever. After gathering data about people's least favorite music and lyrical subjects, they did the unthinkable: they combined them into a single monstrosity, specifically engineered to sound unpleasant to the maximum percentage of listeners. The song is not new, but it resurfaced on Dial "M" for Musicology.

Amazingly, this "most unwanted music" contains little dissonance -- that would have been too easy. For the most part, they seem to have tried to assemble these elements in a listenable way.

Komar & Melamid and David Soldier's list of undesirable elements included holiday music, bagpipes, pipe organ, a children's chorus and the concept of children in general (really?), Wal-Mart, cowboys, political jingoism, George Stephanopoulos, Coca Cola, bossanova synths, banjo ferocity, harp glissandos, oompah-ing tubas and much, much more. It's actually a fascinating listen, worthwhile for the opera rapping alone. (We didn't think that was possible either.)

Banjos made the list! No word on whether or not ukuleles did! Here it is!

okay, so i didn't hate that. i actually kind of like it.

but then again i also like devendra banhart and joanna newsom and some say their music is annoying.

Joanna Newsom's voice has really grown on me, and her music composition is really good; very intricate and almost haunting. Plus, I don't know a lot of people who are doing this pseudo-indie-Appalachian music. I think I'm gonna try and figure out Peach Plum Pear on the uke!

Oh my gosh. I just checked out the composer's other projects and it is wildly interesting. I guess they used the idea of using survey results to make the most unwanted and wanted paintings first. The results are listed by country and show a really interesting insight into our perspectives.

http://www.diacenter.org/km/index.html

P.S. LOL @ Italy's worst

i mean...its not THAT BAD and how DARE they say oohmpa tuba playing is wanted....20 million germans can't be wrong!

Yeah, so...I liked it.

I don't know how to feel...:confused:

:p

I heard about this from "This American Life" not too long ago. Cool concept. They did a thing with the stuff people liked in paintings in different countries and everyone was pretty much the same (landscape, blue, house on the left or something) except for Holland and they liked abstract art (I think it was Holland)

This smells like another contest...

Top Bottom